Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
soveryworried997

Reged: 03/13/13
Blood Exposure
      #271118 - 03/13/13 10:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I posted this question for the experts to answer as well but I was hoping you could also assess my situation and let me know of my risk since he focused more on the fact that he doubted there was blood on the gloves? Please let me know what you think assuming that there WAS blood on the gloves and the assistant touched my back that was just stitched up only 15 seconds later. Thank you so much! Here's my question:

Recently I was at the plastic surgeon's office to get a small mole removed from my back. After the surgeon finished the surgery, he left and a couple minutes later his assistant came back to clean up my back and put the bandage over my stitches. However, while the Dr was working on me, the assistant was in the other room setting up the other patient (i.e. setting up the tools, applying iodine, etc). I noticed that the assistant had stuff on his gloves when he came back (it looked like iodine) and he did not change them from the other patient. I even asked him "that's not blood, right?" and he was like "no, no of course not". However, I am still worried - what if it was blood. What if some blood from the anesthesia shot from the other patient got on his gloves when he was applying the iodine? Or what if the doctor quickly asked him to grab a couple of tools that had blood on them after he was finished using them on the surgery of the other patient. Would the virus be able to survive on his gloves and then be transmitted to me through my open wound? Would my wound still be considered open if it was stitched up?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Blood Exposure new
      #271124 - 03/14/13 08:34 AM

First off the gloves are universals protections for the health care worker, not the patient.

HIV can not survive outside the body, so even if there was blood, which I also doubt, it doesn't matter.

soveryworried997

#271165 - 03/16/13 05:33 PM

Thank you, Crabman! Do others agree? I am just so worried about this.

soveryworried997

#271205 - 03/17/13 10:04 PM

anyone? please help. i'm so scared.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1086

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3