Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Dilbert
Unregistered

Additional support for 3 month conclusive window
      #27037 - 01/15/02 11:47 AM

Dear all,

Sorry if I seem obsessed with convincing everyone that 3 months is good, but as I am waiting for my 16 week ELISA/WB and PRC, I am experiencing some anxiety. Finding documentation that indicates my 10 week test is a pretty good indication like the one posted below gives me some peace of mind, and I thought I'd share that with other who may be in the same situation.

Quote below from http://www.thebody.com/atn/374/testing.html

"For the first tests licensed, this window period ranged from six to 12 weeks, but improved technology has allowed the detection of lower levels of antibodies, making it possible to identify them earlier. "Currently used tests can detect HIV infection between three and five weeks in most individuals," Constantine says. "This is true of just about all of the ELISAs and the rapid tests [discussed further below]. Some tests are a little more consistent in detecting at the three week period, but in general they are all equivalent." To some degree, he explains, "it also depends on the individual (who may not produce antibodies as fast as another)."

Good luck and God Bless you all.

Dilbert

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Additional support for 3 month conclusive wind new
      #27040 - 01/15/02 12:50 PM

Dlibert .... what EXACTLY was your exposure of concern?

TBR173

Reged: 01/07/02
Re: Additional support for 3 month conclusive window new
      #27041 - 01/15/02 01:23 PM

This helps too...I think.

Ryan Kull states:Why don't you make it a bit easier on yourself and just get tested exactly three or more months after your exposure (if you were exposed on January 5th you would get tested no earlier than April 5th). Testing at 20 weeks is considered accurate. Most people seroconvert within one month of exposure; the three month (12-13 weeks) window period is a precaution in case a person takes longer than average. The CDC does not base its recommendation on the exact number of weeks or days.

RMK

The part that most gives me hope is that most people seroconvert within one month.

Dilbert
Unregistered

Answer to exposure question new
      #27042 - 01/15/02 02:11 PM

My exposure was as follows: Very brief unprotected intercourse (essentually rubbing of penis head against inner vaginal lips - which were wet) before putting on condom (protected intercourse), and also giving oral sex to a Thai bar girl of unknown status. This happened in Bangkok.

I had had a few beers (6-7 regular size bottles over 5-6 hours), but I was not very drunk. Part of the problem is also uncertainty as to whether I recall everything correctly due to beer and jet lag. Once you are concerned with being HIV infected your mind starts messing with you even more than usual.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Answer to exposure question new
      #27064 - 01/15/02 05:17 PM

Basically, it's a pretty darn low risk, but you already know that. Combine that with your 10 week negative (which is practically conclusive) .... and your worries about HIV are over.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2626

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3