Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Dilbert
Unregistered

Solid support for 3 month window period?
      #27010 - 01/14/02 09:42 PM

Check out New York State Dept of Health AIDS institue guidelines: http://www.hivguidelines.org/public_html/CENTER/clinical-education/Q-AND-A/UPDATE.HTM

Most relevant quotes for those of us obsessing over 3 vs 6 months:

'as early as 1990, the Association of State and Territorial Public Health Laboratory Directors reached a consensus recommendation that virtually all seroconversions are complete within twelve weeks of exposure. Improvements in HIV testing technology over the last fifteen years, increasing laboratory experience with testing and the ability to better monitor early infection through PCR testing have contributed greatly to our understanding of the window period and have provided increased confidence that virtually all cases of HIV infection can be detected by three months.'

'It is possible that someone who tests negative four weeks after an exposure may be infected but his/her body has not had sufficient time to develop antibodies. Therefore, to rule out HIV infection, it is important to re-test three months after the exposure. It is extremely rare for an HIV-infected individual to not develop antibodies by three months. An individual who tests negative three months after an exposure does not require further testing unless he/she may have repeated exposures or if their antibody test results are incompatible with their clinical history.'

I know this made me feel a heck of a lot better about my 10 week negative, and puts me somewhat at ease while I wait for my 16 weeks results.

God Bless!

Dilbert

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Solid support for 3 month window period? new
      #27012 - 01/14/02 09:52 PM

Low risk and a 10 week neg? Dlibert, my friend ..... not a chance in hell that you're infected with HIV - congrats!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27014 - 01/14/02 10:14 PM

woo hoo for dilbert. Don't gett caught up in the 6 month myth you will be neg at 3 and that should be your final test.

TBR173

Reged: 01/07/02
      #27026 - 01/15/02 09:16 AM

Dilbert, I actually read that page every day. It give me hope that my 9.5 week neg test still stands. I'm currently waiting for my 3 month results now.

Best of luck!!

Dilbert
Unregistered

#27036 - 01/15/02 11:43 AM

If you haven't already, so you also check http://www.thebody.com/atn/374/testing.html. The most encouraging part is this (quote):

For the first tests licensed, this window period ranged from six to 12 weeks, but improved technology has allowed the detection of lower levels of antibodies, making it possible to identify them earlier. "Currently used tests can detect HIV infection between three and five weeks in most individuals," Constantine says. "This is true of just about all of the ELISAs and the rapid tests [discussed further below]. Some tests are a little more consistent in detecting at the three week period, but in general they are all equivalent." To some degree, he explains, "it also depends on the individual (who may not produce antibodies as fast as another)."

TBR173

Reged: 01/07/02
      #27043 - 01/15/02 02:11 PM

Dilbert, is there any way I could contact you via email? If you want to send me something first, send it to vincent_141@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1907

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3