Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
WorriedMom84

Reged: 12/21/12
Is this an exposure?
      #269771 - 12/21/12 11:25 AM

I am new here and just have a question and it looks like you all will know the answer by browsing recent posts. Anyway, I am pregnant and just went to the dentist and while I was there, before they started any work, I noticed a reddish smear on the towel that was under my dental tools and stuff. I was too scared to ask about it b/c I thought they would think I was nuts, so I didn't. Anyway, now I am worried that it could have been blood or even that the dental tools weren't cleaned between patients. Since I'm pregnant, my gums bleed at every little poke, so the tools were definitely poking me and making me bleed too. My husband said it was probably the tooth polish they use, but I'm not sure why that would have been on the tray either. Anyway, I'm freaked out and am not even sure if this is considered an exposure, even if it was blood. I found that the risk for a needle prick is like 1 in 300, but I was poked multiple times with these tools, so would that make it worse? Also, since I'm pregnant, am I more likely to get something since my immune system is low? Ahhh, please help me!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Is this an exposure? new
      #269779 - 12/21/12 05:50 PM

Mom that smear could of been the topical gell that they apply before gving an injection.Did you get numb for the proceedure you had? Lets say it was a bit of dried blood , which I seriously doubt ( I work in the dental field) , the fact that it was dried means that air touched it and Hiv cannot live in thoses circumstances. But in the futur never be afraid to question something that your not comfortable with. Assistants are very good at keeping things clean and sterile , but pts and especiallythe kids , stick their fingers in their mouths and touch the chair, sometimes the assistant can't see it. But it's difficult for germs to live when exposed to air. Unless it's the cold , flu etc. But eing that your pregnate and it does effect your gums and can cause havoc on teeth see about getting your teeth clean an extra time during you pregnancy. Hope all this makes you feel better.
Congrats on your new family member and have a blessed Christmas !

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

WorriedMom84

#269796 - 12/21/12 10:27 PM

Nope, no numbing or procedures done, just a cleaning. It was on the blue sheet that is used to wrap up the dental tools (they are sealed in it and it is taped until ready to use, I guess)., so no patients should have touched it unless it wasn't a new set of tools that they pulled out for me. My husband asked today while he was there and they said maybe somehow the tooth polish got on there...not quite sure how that would happen, but I hope they are right (and I think I had strawberry flavored or something, so potentially a red substance). I am a very anxious pregnant lady and this just has me spooked.

Edited by WorriedMom84 (12/21/12 10:27 PM)

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #269812 - 12/22/12 08:20 PM

The polish you speak of is the prophy paste and yes it comes in colors that are for the flavors and strawberry would of been red. I understand your concern but believe me a hygienst would not of used the same instruments . Just relax and enjoy being pregnate. Focus on setting up the babys room . Is this your first?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

WorriedMom84

#270041 - 01/07/13 10:05 PM

Nope, it's my fourth. I am trying to relax about it :-)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 988

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3