Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
canadian1984

Reged: 12/02/12
Does this sound like Acute Retroviral Syndrome?
      #269387 - 12/02/12 06:37 PM

I began an experience recently (October 2nd) for the first time in my life, with another guy. All we did is have unprotected oral sex, and once for a few minutes, protected anal sex. I know most people will say that I didn't have an exposure - but one cannot be so certain, as there are an elite few who have apparently contracted it like this.

(after 10-days to 2-weeks of having protected sex)

- Started out with congestion in nose, felt like the start of a cold
- Few days later, sore throat for at least two days (noticeable)
- Sore throat went away and then I got diarrhea... this persisted for a few days, then turned into loose stool for the next few weeks.
- After about 24-days from when the sore throat began, I got a tiny mouth canker on the lower part of my cheek. Noticed when I looked in the mirror a week later after that one went, I had a tiny one in the very very back of my throat.

Not sure if I had a fever, but I did notice myself tired for a couple days while I had the congestion and diarrhea at the gym. Noticed I was heating up fast, so I stopped working out for a few days.

Other variables is, a day or so before the diarrhea started, I ate sugar free cookies loaded with a product called Maltitol - a known laxative when eaten in large quantities. I just find it hard to believe it could last up to a few weeks... causing loose stool, some stomach discomfort.

Does diarrhea/loose stool last this long in ARS?

Instead of discrediting my 'exposure' can someone specify the diarrhea and other symptoms mentioned?

My partner swears he is negative (he had to be in 2010, to get a residency card in Canada...), claims he never had sex since then, but one can never know for sure. We will get tested soon.

Please help me ^, I've been pretty paranoid for the last month about this, though it has dramatically subsided. Tonight I ate a whole pack of sugar free candy to see if it happened to me again.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Does this sound like Acute Retroviral Syndrome? new
      #269389 - 12/02/12 10:10 PM

I'm gonna share two anecdotes with you.

First know that I am positive.

Ok first story. I have had a white coating on my tongue for years. Long before becoming infected. Did the proper oral hygiene and all could never get rid of it. Figured its cause i smoke. When I found out I was positive it got worse. Figured just a consequence of being positive. Didn't go away after starting meds and I tried everything. Including overpriced crap that the dentist recommended. Finally a month ago I started a anti anxiety med. white coating is completely gone as of last week. Now I know it was a stress related symptom.

Second story. I'm allergic to eggs. I can only eat things that contain eggs that are what people call "hard baked" meaning it has to be baked at or above 350 f till it has a crust. So no soft cookies for me. If I even have a trace amount of egg say some bacon cooked next to an egg on a griddle in a restaurant I have an allergic reaction. Typical symptoms include (for a trace amount) the runs for a week, vomiting for three to four days, massive migraines for several days straight and normally loose/soft stools for two weeks till my gut gets back to normal. I carry an epipen just incase I get dosed with more than a trace cause the symptoms are much more severe.

Protected sex is exactly that protected. Symptoms are nothing more than symptoms. If you decide the symptoms match HIV then they will. Just like I thought my coating on my tongue was from smoking. Just like I thought it got worse when I tested positive. It did but not for the reason I thought. Also allergies are common in food. And the effects can be long lasting. Ask anyone with a food allergy and they will tell you they feel like crap for a while after having what they are allergic to.

Quit with the guessing game. If you feel the need to get tested go there's been plenty of time that has passed to get reliable results especially after protected sex.

canadian1984

#269390 - 12/02/12 11:02 PM

Hi kicker,

I understand your point, completely.

This being my first gay relationship, I am probably more worried then someone who has been have a similar relationship for a longer period of time. In fact, i've always been concerned about the prospect of infection like this, which is a major reason I avoided it all my life. Caused me depression a bit over the years, was happy when I got involved, now my anxiety is killing me again as if I were 14-years old (I am 28).

About the white tongue, the other day I looked in the mirror and noticed I had white on the back of my tongue accompanied by a number of red "bumps", which I later found out were normal and called Papillae. When I saw this + the white, I thought okay, now I got the thrush... a totally specific symptom plus the other stuff, I felt I was definitely infected! Then I started using Google Images looking @ tongues, realized it was normal, and that I probably always had this - as you did.

Chewing the pizza just over a week ago, feeling a pain, realizing I had the onset of a tiny canker. Not something I never had before, but about 3-weeks after the initial "symptoms", another! After Googling some more, I realized these are normal in people with stress and anxiety - as well as insomnia, something I've been battling for a month now! It was hardly noticeable, but is it a symptom? Another one almost developed, but went away when I got some sleep.

Sore throat? It was what started my panic, came shortly after the onset of a nasal congestion.

So many variables, I guess one may never know.

Hoping for wishful advice, which can't change anything about reality.

I read a person on the POZ forum who is now a longtime member who claims he was infected by protected sex. Came across one or two posts who claim they were infected orally.

One day I had a needle in my mouth from a dentist, another concern since 5-hours later, I had oral sex (with no ejaculation, but still precum).

I guess I will go get tested eventually, hopefully sooner then later. My partner agreed to do it after initially being offended, feeling as if I was insinuating he gave me the virus.

We'll see. Thanks for your comment.

canadian1984

#269391 - 12/02/12 11:26 PM

I don't know, kicker.
It's just things like this you never really pay attention to unless you are worried; then you start reading online and every thing that happens, start to happen... and everything little thing that doesn't, seem to be happening to.

I don't know if I am infected or not. I know the odds are against it, as I have done oral sex about 10x or so, all without ejaculation, and had protected sex for a couple minutes - though the condemn was initially put on the wrong way, still damn worried.

Just seems there is the one who always falls through the cracks.

I have always pledged, and initially with this relationship, that we would be tested prior to beginning anything imminent. I failed myself in that regard, though I did push the idea at first and he suggested we just stay true to each other, and forgo testing.

He claims he is willing to go and get tested together, just a bit embarrassed about it. Hasn't done it yet - think he is nervous though he pretends that he isn't.

Time will tell

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #269395 - 12/03/12 06:38 AM

Quote:

I know most people will say that I didn't have an exposure - but one cannot be so certain, as there are an elite few who have apparently contracted it like this.

the only site in the Web where people will tell you had no exposure is medhelp.org

anywhere else (including, WHO, CDC, UNAIDS, The Red Cross, etc.) you will read the same: oral sex is low risk, but not zero risk.

i don't say this to scare you. low risk means is unlikely you will be infected through this practice, but in certain circunstances it can happen, specially during the window period (early weeks after infection) where the person is highly infectious.

that being said, you didn't say if you gave or received oral sex, nor is clear if your partner eyaculated in your mouth (risk increases in this case)

again, anywhere else besides medhelp.org you will be adviced to test, "just to be sure". and reading how you are, I think it's the way to go. after all, sexually active adults should test at least once per year (not only for HIV).

and remember, there are other things easily transmited through oral:

http://www.sfcityclinic.org/stdbasics/stdchart.asp

keep us updated.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

canadian1984

Well Instant Fingerprick was Negative (-)... new
      #269477 - 12/06/12 07:11 PM

I built up the courage today and went and got an HIV test in downtown Toronto. They didn't know that's why I was there - since I told them I wanted to be tested for everything (they thought STD's). Apparently it was backlogged for a couple weeks. Anyhow, since they seen I was overly concerned, they gave me a "Quick Prick" HIV antibody test. This would have occurred around 6-7 weeks after the incident in question. After about 60-seconds he came back and told me it was negative, showing me the ONE DOT (negative), rather then the TWO DOTS for a positive. Hard to believe it can come back so quick, so accurately.

When I told him my exposure, he said I didn't really have one. It seems there are conflicting medical findings on oral sex.

I guess it's still possible I am infected, since it has not been the 3--month period yet. But from what i understand, according to most, HIV is detected in 80% of people after 3-4 weeks.

I will go back on Jan 5th for a final confirmation.

Thanks for your help. I think over the past month I read about a quarter of all forms on this site and another...

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: Well Instant Fingerprick was Negative (-)... new
      #269496 - 12/07/12 02:24 PM

it would be highly unlikely that your test would turn pos after 7 weeks, but I guess you know that already

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

canadian1984

Re: Well Instant Fingerprick was Negative (-)... new
      #269498 - 12/07/12 02:32 PM

It was at the end of October, I got tested on Dec. 6th. So I read that the average period for detectable antibodies was 25-days or so, so it has been over that. I will go back in January.

Yeah, I read non-stop for sometime on here and other sites.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3319

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3