Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Bali

Reged: 11/20/12
HIV transmission
      #269109 - 11/20/12 07:40 PM

Hi,
Had sex with prostitute using 2 condoms... condoms did not break also i did not ejaculate, it hardly for 5 mins and i was drunk wanted know what is the possibility of HIV and other std. Do i have to take any test?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper

Reged: 11/12/12
Re: HIV transmission new
      #269113 - 11/20/12 08:59 PM

Your risk is very low under the circumstances you described. Although having penetrative sex with a sex worker makes it a high risks activity, you did wear two condoms that did manage to hold up....
Then again, you put the entire context under "I was drunk"... so how can you be sure that you didn't penetrate without condom at all?

If it makes you feel any better, go get a rapid testing done.

btw, the fact that you didn't ejac, its a lower risk for recipient, not you.

Edited by casper (11/20/12 09:06 PM)

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #269115 - 11/20/12 10:54 PM

No worries. Casper posted with a huge misconception. The fact you had sex with a sex worker wasn't any higher risk than if you had it with the nice girl next door. You used protection. You did what you needed to do to protect yourself. Always remember, it's NOT the person, it's the activities that you need to be thinking about.

Also, it's never a good idea to double up on the condoms. The friction from wearing two can cause a breakage.

casper

#269141 - 11/21/12 10:47 PM

Not so sure its misconception..... There isn't risky profile, only risky behavior. I agree with this motto. And by no means I would suggest you can be safe going bare bone with the nice girl next door....

But sometimes you can't ignore the stats.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Female-sex-workers-have-14-times-the-risk-of-having-HIV-as-other-women/page/2457223/

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #269142 - 11/21/12 11:35 PM

I am not taking about prevalence.

It doesn't make them any more risky than the nice lady next door living with HIV. The point is that you will become infected by either under the right conditions if safer sex is not used. IT'S THE BEHAVIORS, NOT THE 'TYPE' OF PERSON. Which is why your assessment that he had any risk just because she is a sex worker is ridiculous. He used protection. More than he needed even. PROTECTED SEX is not a risk for HIV transmission, no matter WHO is involved. It's your kind of thinking that people use to decide to use protection with a sex worker, but not the partner they know socially or work with.

It is a dangerous misconception that more care must be taken when with a sex worker. HIV doesn't care about sex, race, sexual identity, sexual promiscuity, income, type of work, church affiliation, political affiliation, age......

If two people have not tested together than they have no business having unprotected sex. The risk is equal if a person is infected, and YOU have no idea if a partner is or isn't.

Conversely if the sex is protected than the risk of transmission is almost nil, no matter who is doing who. Since you are so busy googling, I would suggest you check out long term studies done with sero-negative and positive partners. Those that used protection kept the negative partner negative.

Again, not the person. It's the activities and using protection for Anal and Vaginal sex that counts.

Get the point?

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #269152 - 11/22/12 12:52 PM

Quote:

No worries. Casper posted with a huge misconception

totally agree. for instance, the girl I had sex with in February gave me an unprotected blowjob and then she was expecting unprotected sex of me. I refused, and whore a condom.

I know many friends who have been with sex workers. I have been with one as well long time ago. The condom was ALWAYS required and requested.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

casper

#269157 - 11/22/12 02:23 PM

Hey, I did say there is NO risky profile, only RISKY behavior in my previous post.

However, I fail to understand how prevalence is irrelevant here?

Here is quote from CDC website:

CDC recommends that everyone know their HIV status. How often you should an HIV test depends on your circumstances. If you have never been tested for HIV, you should be tested. CDC recommends being tested at least once a year if you do things that can transmit HIV infection, such as:

injecting drugs or steroids with used injection equipment
having sex for money or drugs
having sex with an HIV infected person
having more than one sex partner since your HIV test
having a sex partner who has had other sex partners since your last HIV test.

How is this type of information irrelevant just because you FEEL its a stereotypical sentiments??

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #269158 - 11/22/12 02:54 PM

Quote:

Hey, I did say there is NO risky profile, only RISKY behavior in my previous post

this is what you said: "Although having penetrative sex with a sex worker makes it a high risks activity"

penetrative sex is risky IF not condom is used. in this particular case, this is not a high risk situation because condom WAS used. it does not matter who the girl is or what she does, the thing is: ALWAYS wear a condom.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

casper

#269165 - 11/22/12 03:33 PM

YES, how is stating: Although having penetrative sex with a sex worker makes it a high risks activity.

translate into having sex without condom with a non sex worker is zero risk??

How are they mutually exclusive? because that's seem to be what you are suggesting about my comment here... And, please, lets finish my comment that started off with "Although... you did wear two condoms that did manage to hold up.... " Please put this in context here.

So how about this scenario here:
1. I was drunk, came home, and had protected sex with my wife of 25 years, should i be worried? should i get tested?

2. I was drunk, went to a brothel in Thailand, had protected sex with a worker. Should i be worried? should i get tested?

so no worries right? cause its protected sex, squash your anxiety and not get tested right?

Statistics are part of risk analysis. Reduction of risks isn't just about putting on a condom is it?

If you don't want to believe that then that's up to you.

Edited by casper (11/22/12 04:56 PM)

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #269760 - 12/20/12 06:37 PM

since you used a condom, you were not at risk for HIV and most other STDs (this does not include herpes, but you'll have to look that up yourself). in terms of HIV, you were fine. doesn't matter how long or that she was a sex worker or that you didn't ejaculate.

but in the future, one condom is optimal. two condoms are not more protective. in fact, they are more likely to rip if you wear two.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #269761 - 12/20/12 06:44 PM

i know this thread is from last month, but i think it's important to distinguish both your points, which are both valid.

individually speaking, being a sex worker does not increase a person's chances of infecting others. the per-act risk estimates for sex (if positive) are the same no matter what profession.

however, to casper's point, since her HIV status is unknown, her being part of a demographic that has higher rates of HIV increases the likelihood that she could have HIV, when compared to other groups with lower rates. but that's not to say all sex workers carry a high risk. i think it was poor wording on casper's part, but his sentiment was not meant to offend. he was merely playing statistics.

in any event, the original poster wore a condom, albeit two, and they did not break, so he does not have to worry about HIV, regardless of who this woman was.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2708

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3