Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
peterparker1

Reged: 11/08/12
Do I have HIV and could I have given it to my boyfriend?
      #268874 - 11/08/12 10:13 AM

Last year, I had unprotected a few times. I never got tested or screened, I know, so stupid of me. I never got sick or showed any symptoms. I have a new boyfriend we've been dating for 2 months and he's suddenly had a really bad flu. He said he's never gotten sick like this before. I know that once you've contracted the virus it takes as early as 2 weeks and up to 13 weeks to get ARS (Acute Retrovirus Syndrome) initial flu-like symptoms which include fever, fatigue, and, often, rash. Other common symptoms can include headache, joint pains, swollen lymph nodes, and sore throat. They say ARS is like the "worst flu of your life" and I'm afraid that's exactly how he feels.

He had all of those symptoms except the rash and swollen lymph nodes. This happened about 7 weeks after we first started having sex. Which is in the time frame of when you get ARS.
I was wondering, if he really did have the flu, wouldn't it be contagious? How come I didn't get the flu, I was pretty much next to him the entire time. No one else caught the flu from him either. Does this mean it wasn't the flu and its actually him infected with HIV?

I know all of you will tell me to get tested to know for sure. I will be getting tested in 2 days. I just need some opinions from experience or knowledge. I'm so scared.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: Do I have HIV and could I have given it to my boyfriend? new
      #268879 - 11/08/12 03:23 PM

Lots of people get a "bad flu" sometimes. This does not mean they're infected with HIV.

The thing here is you had unprotected sex, so you need to test.

Also remember that if you are going to have unprotected sex with your boyfriend, he must test as well.

Unprotected sex should happen only when both have been tested for HIV and other STIs. Until that moment, you must use condoms to protect yourself.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

casper

Reged: 11/12/12
Re: Do I have HIV and could I have given it to my boyfriend? new
      #268949 - 11/12/12 04:58 PM

Spotting symptoms on your partner is not the way to tell whether you or your partner is at risks. My partner exhibited exact same symptoms: extreme headache, facial rash that quickly went away, chronic diarrhea, etc... I was convinced I had passed it... (i'm the promiscuous one here) I was going nuts, googling pictures of skin rashes, ARS, etc.... I finally worked up the courage and got tested. I would advice you do the same, knowing is better than sitting around wondering.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1495

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3