Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LostMind

Reged: 11/05/12
28 days Post Possible HIV Infection
      #268816 - 11/05/12 10:51 AM

Sorry for the long post...

10/10/12 I'm a 32 yr old white male; I had unprotected oral sex with a female I met at a bar (business trip in Seattle) and possibly unprotected vaginal sex (cannot remember). Since then I have been plagued with the following symptoms.

10/11 - burnning sensation inside tip of penis; frequent urination; night sweats, flu-like symptoms.

10/12 - same as above, tenderness in lower abdomen; night sweats.

10/13 - tonsils swollen, lymph nodes swollen and white pus on tonsils.

10/14 - same as above symptoms.

10/15 - Visit to see family doc; Strep negative. she said could be any of STDs. She tested for all and perscribed Zithro 4tabs 1 dosage, Flagyl 500mg on tab 2x per day (stopped Flagyl 10/17 STD tests came back negative (HIV A/B Screen: Nonreactive), Doxycl 100mg one tab 2x per day.

10/16 - 10/20
Dry, swollen mouth, white tongue, trouble sleeping, night sweats, loss of appetite, weakness in legs, general ill-feeling, swollen gland in neck; urethra symptoms resolved on 10/16.

10/21 - went to ER in morning. Dr. reviewed my tests and did a complete CBC. She said everything looks normal, swabbed urethra again: Tests negative. looked at tongue and said possibly a minor case of thrush. prescribed lozengers.

10/22 - Got a full nights rest, malaise, little night sweats lozengers not helping with thrush.

10/23 - swollen glands, tightness in neck and head pressure, called family doc and scheduled follow-up appt for 10/24.

10/24 - Tight, tingling in neck and back of head, feels like something in my throat, thrust on back of tongue shoulders and legs weak. Feels like my knees want to give out.

10/25 - Dr. appt. She said I'm fine and nothing to worry about. No swollen lymph nodes in neck. Prescribed NyStatin for Thrush. No pus on tonsils.

10/29 - starting developing random hive-like bumps on body. broke out on my face and neck. itchy all over; wrists, ankles, chest, waist burns a little and back has red bumps. some small red raised bumps underneath chest. pressure under eyes and swelling under eyes across bridge of nose.

11/2 - hive-like rash gone; still have thrush; tonsoils have a little pus on them.

11/3 - not sleeping well; woke up with pain on my left side under rib cage; especially when I breathe in deeply, Malaise, still have thrush.

11/4 - pressure in eyes, face, jaw (hurt to open mouth). pressure around head.

11/5 - called and made another appointment with family doc. I am just not feeling normal. Last night i had night sweats. slept very little. tossed and turned. no appetite, lost 8-10 lbs...still have pain in left side under rib cage (some improvement), tender testicles.

I have been monitoring my temperature throughout and I have not noticed anything abnormal. It ranges from 97.7 F - 98.4 F. I have had dizziness throughout as well.

Again, all STD tests came back negative. HIV test at 7-days post (too early but it was negative).

Can someone shed some honest light on what may be happening to me? Do have have Acute HIV Infection, ARS, Primary HIV Infection?

I have never had anything like this before...as you can imagine I am probably experiencing anxiety but need some support--that's why i am posting.

thx in advance.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: 28 days Post Possible HIV Infection new
      #268819 - 11/05/12 01:38 PM

Unprotected oral sex means you put yourself at risk for certain STIs. However, the risk for HIV is very low, specially if there was no visible blood present in the girl's mouth when she was giving you the fellatio:

http://www.sfcityclinic.org/stdbasics/stdchart.asp

If you had unprotected intercourse, that's another story. In that case, you were at risk for HIV and other STIs. The window period for HIV is 3 months, but you can test at 6 weeks post incident for a preliminary result.

Since this was a single unprotected situation, you should come out of this OK.

Good luck.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

LostMind

#268821 - 11/05/12 02:27 PM

Ashler,

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just so I am clear, I performed oral on the female. I assume your response is the same? Also, thanks for the reference site.

Do you think its a little far-fetched that I have been having symptoms right after exposure and then for this long. They seem to come and go.

I am really stressed--never felt this way before. Depressed, hiding from people, not returning calls, no sleep and feel horrible.

Your last comment does provide some relief believe it or not!

Thanks again--
LostMind

ashler1977
Guardian

#268822 - 11/05/12 02:44 PM

My response is pretty much the same. If you performed oral on the girl there would be a risk if she was on her period. But why would you perform oral on a girl during her period?

I think you should take it easy. You probably didn't have unprotected intercourse and are worrying over nothing.

About symptoms, there are "n" explanations. You probably were not at risk (for HIV) in the first place.

All the best.

--------------------

LostMind

#268824 - 11/05/12 03:40 PM

Thanks again Ashler--

Your encouragement is helpful in easing my anxiety. I am going to see my doc again for a follow-up tomorrow. It's been 4wks since the encounter and I will see what she recommends with respect to another ELISA test although its early...perhaps that will put me at ease until the 13 wk mark--right around the holidays!

All the best,
LostMind

LostMind

#268835 - 11/06/12 09:45 AM

Dr examined me. No swollen lymph nodes. Still have hairy tongue. She said that 'You don't have HIV.' Doing a re-test ELISA test and CBC. She recommended a therapist. Am I really losing my mind??? This is not me. How can I cope with the stress and anxiety?

Please...

ashler1977
Guardian

#268839 - 11/06/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

How can I cope with the stress and anxiety?

you should contact a psychologist.

--------------------

LostMind

#268971 - 11/14/12 07:41 AM

UPDATE:

My family doctor ran a CBC and HIV test at 4wks. CBC normal and HIV negative. However, since then whatever I have is now in my gut. The positive--no diarrhea. However, I have been experiencing cramping, abdominal pain that radiates into my mid-back area, nausea, greasy, light brown BMs and dry mouth/eyes. Lost 20lbs in 4.5 wks. No vomiting. When I got home last night from work, I was so tired I went directly to bed at 7:30pm. I'm wondering if this is malabsorption of vitamins, minerals, etc. I have read white papers with respect to malabsorption and HIV.

Going to a gastro doc on Friday for an exam. Hopefully he can determine what's happening.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone experiencing anything like I am?

Thanks in advance,
LostMind

freakedout1

Reged: 11/15/12
      #268997 - 11/15/12 08:20 AM

Hi lost mind

I'm a 31 yrd old straight male that is having the same exact symptoms as you.

On 10/17 i performed oral sex on a female stripper for about 2 minutes. I didnt notice any menstruation, but i was drunk, so cant be sure. 5 days later I started feeling like i constantly had to urinate and had a little bit of a burning feeling around my penis, like a UTI. Got tested for all STD's 8 days after encounter and everything came back negative. Doc prescribed antibiotics and the UTI feeling went away but over the next 2 weeks i started feeling weak, nauseous, no appetite, lost weight, had heavy night sweats, couldnt sleep, and developed a little bit of thrush on the back half of my tongue. Now, a month after my risky behavior i'm still having some night sweats (though not as bad) and still have thrush (appetite is back and i feel better but not perfect).

I took a oraquick home test at 26 days which came back negative. I know 26 days is far from conclusive, but at least its not +. i'm still freaking out and have tons of anxiety. Since we had a similar experience and very similar symptoms, i'm wondering how u are doing and what you have learned.

Most stuff i read says oral sex is low risk. But i feel like my symptoms are so consistent with early hiv infection. I hope its not, but it seems like it really could be. I've never been so scared. Any info or update you have is greatly appreciated. Hope you are doing well and got good news.

Alll the best
Freakedout1

LostMind

#268998 - 11/15/12 08:28 AM

Freakedout1,

My family doctor is convinced that I do not have HIV. When my gut symptoms started I called her and she prescribed Prilosec. Took that for a few days, perhaps it helped the acid reflux but nothing else. So, I decided to go to a holistic doctor (11/14) and he said that he believes that due to the antibiotics I was on that it killed off all good bacteria. He put me on $500 worth of vitamins and minerals (starting today), and I took myself off the Prilosec. Oh, and I am going to see a gastro doc tomorrow afternoon. I will provide another update as I get more information.

If I do not have HIV, then the anxiety and stress really messed up my gut. Hang in there Freakedout1, we're in the same boat. If you find any additional information please post or send me a private message.

Are you on any Antibiotics?

Best,
LostMind

LostMind

#269128 - 11/21/12 02:57 PM

6 week mark tomorrow. I get itchy head, spots on my arms, almost like one or two hives and usually starts around 6pm. Are these signs of anything? Just seems odd. I am trying to keep my anxiety to a minimum. Itchy on neck and face sometimes too. I do get a few hives on my right side of my face.

All other symptoms seem to be gone; except the white coated tongue, mainly toward the back of the tongue.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think it has anything to possibly do with HIV?

Thanks in advance.
LostMind

LostMind

#269171 - 11/22/12 04:50 PM

Anyone have any thoughts based on the history thus far? Need some support.

jamesmore32
Regular

Reged: 11/17/12
      #269172 - 11/22/12 04:57 PM

500 bus for vitamins? Wow

LostMind

#269185 - 11/23/12 08:34 AM

Woke up last night in another night sweat. Soaked covers and pillow. Also, very nauseous. Still have the coated tongue. Did some research on the red, itchy bumps and they look like folliculitis. Fingers and hands ache in the morning. I am 6 weeks post encounter.

1. Seems like I have gone through a number of symptoms. Is that typical for ARS?

2. Some say the ARS rash is itchy some say 'No...' Which is it?

3. Should I get tested again next week?

4. Is folliculitis the type of rash that others have experienced durning ARS?

Appreciate the feedback as it does provide me some relief.

Thanks in advance.
LostMind

LostMind

Re: 28 days Post Possible HIV Infection
      #269195 - 11/24/12 07:08 AM

Update:

Woke up at night, no night sweats (thank goodness) but had extreme nausea. Still laying upright trying to calm stomach. The nausea was accompanied with a wave of cold sweats/feverish feeling. Severe headache started yesterday and continues today. Nausea and headache are new symptoms for me. What the hell is going on with me. I am more frustrated with feeling ill at this point more than anything else.

Posting and reading your comments really help me relax some. Please comment.

Thx,
LostMind

Edited by LostMind (11/24/12 09:48 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 53652

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3