Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Changedmylife82

Reged: 10/22/12
Am I infected ? My story
      #268498 - 10/22/12 05:54 PM

Ok, so here it goes. Two weeks ago I was feeling pretty ill. Flu like symtoms a dry cough etc. I also complained to the Dr. of having a bit of memory loss and unable to sleep. I had recently got a promotion at work which put me on the overnight shift. So I was placing the blame on that. The Doctor asked all my medical history because I have'nt seen a doctor in a while and being that I have a lot of medical problems in my family she wanted me to take a blood test. The #1 test she recommended was a HIV-1 and HIV-2 Antibodies test. As soon as I seen the lab order I got really scared. I called to make an appointment with the lab but they could not take me till this coming thursday. I could not help but started to think of some of the encounters I have had in my entire life. I began to get really scared and nervous being that I have had unprotected sex a few times. I started to sweat and was unable to think straight. When I got home I looked up all the possible signs of HIV and AIDS. I then began to get even more scared being that the doctor was asking me about having these signs. I recalled having some of these signs in the past and now I could'nt sleep and was thinking of all possiblities of what would happen to me my family and my life. I cried and could not sleep all night. The next day I couldnt take it no more so I looked online and found a HIV testing center that was open on Saturday. I forced myself even know I was so scared to know the results but I made it downtown to the lab. I was given the HIV-1 2 Antibody test. When I got home I felt better but could not help to look up more signs. I checked my glands constantly along with my tempature. I was certain that I had the virus and started to make plans in my head on what I would be going through and how I would handle it. I then began to make calls to people I have had encounters with. I asked them if they were ever tested fot HIV and when. I tried to develop a time line in my head for the past few years on who I came in contact with. I thought back as far as I could being that I read that this virus could be in your system for years without you even knowing. I was even more scared and nervous. Today I had to go to work being that I would most likey get the call today from the lab with my results while I was in work I turned my phone off until I got home. When I got home no call... I thought to myself is no news good news? Well then I just had to know and called. They said the results were not in yet. One hour later I got the call. I asked if I was ok and she said I can not discuss this over the phone. I immediatley thought the worse and started to cry. She said not to worry just come to the Lab. Well I stormed out of the house and drove to the lab. The results were "Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff. Non reactive" The relief, but with this I come to realize I am lucky and many others are not. So I would just like to say please practice safe sex. Also with this I really would like to reach out and help people suffering from this. I missed the Aids walk in Philadelphia this week. Does anyone know of any organizations or events? Thank you all for reading my story it was one of the most scarest things in my life, but I am glad that I know the results instead of wondering and being in the fear of not knowing. For all of you who are scared, Please get tested. I was really scared but now I know my status

Nick

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: Am I infected ? My story new
      #268500 - 10/22/12 06:34 PM

glad you are negative and more aware/educated about HIV now. please continue to practice and spread the word about safer sex and testing!

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #268502 - 10/22/12 08:08 PM

Stay in touch with this site. You could be a big help to others that are in the fearful waiting mode. I always like to ask what one has learned from there experience , and I see that you did, now take that awareness and go to those that are now in their waiting phase. You don't have to wait for the next Aids walk , there is always one going on here at The Body. So reach out and help someone here.

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #268520 - 10/23/12 07:56 AM

Get in touch with your local AIDS service organization. They are always looking for volunteers.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1725

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3