Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
stressedout

Reged: 10/19/12
High Anxiety about possible infection. Please help.
      #268351 - 10/19/12 06:29 PM

Hello,
I am a male, 31 years old. About 8 weeks ago I had a one time encounter of unprotectied oral and vaginal intercourse with a female I did not know. Her HIV status is unkown to me, possible high risk group but not needle drugs though. The vaginal intercourse lasted about 3-5 minutes maximum. About 4 weeks later I had a one day stomach flu episode with nausea, vomiting and diarreah. This lasted 24 hours or less. The following day I had symptoms of a cold. Untreated for a week, and with coughing with flem, I was diagnosed with bronchitis by my docotor. I was not put on antibiotics for the first week after the bronchitis diagnosis and eventually developed flu like symptoms 2 weeks into the cold/bronchitis. This flu like episode lasted two days, day one with chills and possible fever overnight, and the next day with body aches. Throughout this time I never registered a fever on a thermometer after being checked twice at the doctors, and once on my own, though I may have had a fever for only one night throughout night one with the flu like symptoms as I felt that I had been sweating and a fever break may have occured. The total period of my illnesses lasted a little over 3 weeks. This illness occured at a seasonal change period(summer to fall) and the doctor told me they had recently seen many patients with the symptoms I had been exhibiting. The thought of an STD or HIV did not even occur to me at the time, as I later thought of the encounter and started to worry about the possible implications. I also just noticed what could be a small rash on my back though it looks more like pimples that are spread out and very few with the skin not raised around the marks,and i did have an ulcer in my mouth. I just passed an oraquick test this week, about 7 1/2 weeks out from the sexual encounter, which brought some relief, but not %100 relief. Just looking for an opinion to help ease my mind, and I will take another oraquick test in a few months. Thank yor for you time and response in advance

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: High Anxiety about possible infection. Please help. new
      #268359 - 10/19/12 10:28 PM

Sounds like you had viral bronchitis. It's fairly common and doesn't require any medication usually. It's like the flu and can last for a few weeks. That said your negative test results are conclusive. Reason I say that is as follows:

If it was indeed Acute HIV infection you would have shown at very least an indeterminate result at 7.5 weeks. Especially after having symptoms. HIV (the virus) itself doesn't cause ars, the production of antibodies does. The test looks for antibodies. Being it didn't find any and you got a negative result means that the symptoms you experienced aren't HIV related. The "rash" had it been the actual rash caused by HIV isn't localized it would've been all over and itched like hell. To the point it would wake you up. (Think more like chicken pox or poison ivy itchy not bug bite itchy).

Not to say vaginal intercourse isn't a risk, but this time I firmly believe you dodged a bullet. Next time wear a raincoat over mr happy and you won't have to worry about it.

wiccaguy78

Reged: 10/20/12
      #268403 - 10/20/12 08:18 PM

take oraquick at 12 weeks..7.5 weeks is too soon for oraquick, but with every and any test ,12 weeks is conclusive.

Changedmylife82

Reged: 10/22/12
      #268530 - 10/23/12 05:38 PM

Wow, I think I have been in a similiar situation. I was having some signs as well. The doctor made me even more nervous when asked me to take an HIV test #1 on the list of blood work she wanted me to get done. I thought of all the times I had unprotected sex and the mistakes I had made, but I can say I think also had a very high anxiety level after I was told by the doctor about taking the test. It's a very scary thought and well I couldnt wait till the following week for my lab orders so I just had to know and relieve my anxiety and went the following day to a testing center and the next day after I felt so much better after getting my Negative results. I am very glad I got tested and brought my anxiety down. This has been a very educational lesson for myself and what mistakes I will never make again in my future.

-Nick

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #268563 - 10/24/12 02:10 PM

listen kicker, wear a condom next time if you want to avoid anxiety.

your result is extremely encouraging. most folks will test positive by six weeks. I would suggest to test again at 13 weeks with a classic blood drawn in a laboratory. not that I don't trust oraquick, but I just think the classic method is a bit more reliable.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Changedmylife82

Reged: 10/22/12
      #268608 - 10/25/12 05:34 PM

Hey, just checking up on you. How are you feeling? Hopefully a bit better and hopefully your anxiety has calmed a bit. Take care and stay safe

Edited by Changedmylife82 (10/25/12 05:35 PM)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7327

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3