Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
KAY
Unregistered

worried for no reason?
      #26755 - 01/09/02 03:42 PM

a few years ago (end of July 1999) I got a test result of ELISA positive, Western Blot negative. I kept getting re-tested once a month for almost seven months. I checked with everyone I had slept with and they all said they were negative (the ones who hadn't been tested at that point went for the testing and told me they were clean). But my test results never went back to full negative. Finally, in February, the clinic told me that there must be something else tripping up the test, because it would have shown by then. I called the CDC and Red Cross HIV hotlines and they told me the same thing. Everyone has told me not to worry about it, especailly since a few of the guys I was with have gotten married and had children since with no problems or diseases. But I can't help thinking about it sometimes and worrying - why didn't the ELISA change back to negative? I have now been with the same guy for over a year, and we plan to get married in a few years when I am out of grad school. He knows about the whole thing, and he thinks my fears are completely unfounded, and he's told me to go get tested again so that I can stop worrying. But I don't know what to do. On one hand, I'd like to get tested so that I can know, once and for all, what's going on. But on the other hand, I am terrified. What if it comes out with the same inconclusive results? Are my fears unfounded? I don't know what to do.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anxietyboy

Reged: 01/07/02
Have you ever considered taking other tests? new
      #26772 - 01/09/02 06:21 PM

First off let me say YOU ARE NEGATIVE.

Elisa test are extremely sensitve to antibodies.. In fact too sensitive that why + results have to be confirmed with WB. The fact that you have done so many WB that turned up - means you are negative...

A simple thing as a flu shot can trip up an Elisa test.

Now turn appease your peace of mind. Consider taking a PCR of p24 antigen test. These tests do not look for antibodies, but for actual virus or particles of the virus. Theses are not used for diagnosing HIV but for people already infected to determine viral loads.

They are not cheap and you will still have to get an ELISA, but at least they are looking for other things. In your case they will most likely turn up nothing at all, and give you some piece of mind...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1232

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3