Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
orlean34

Reged: 08/25/12
Very sick and can't work, help?
      #267319 - 09/26/12 04:09 PM

I had an incident where i was receptive in anal sex for a short period, in and out once. I did notice that he had a decent amount of precum. I also noticed afterwards that there was some blood from my anus.

2 weeks later I had a stiff neck, body aches, headache, mild fever (under 100). The fevers were not often and only lasted less than an hour or 2. All of the symptoms were mild except the fatigue and most came and went.

It is now 9 weeks after possible exposure and I am having lots of fatigue, dry cough and diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy by a neurologist. my neck still gets stiff. the PN is making it hard for me to walk and have not been able to work because of it.

No rash, no swollen lymph nodes, no high or prolonged fever, and no bad sore throat.

I had an antibody test, p24 test, and a PCR RNA test, all done at 18 days after. All negative. Had another PCR/antibody at 4 weeks then 6 weeks. Then an antibody at 8 weeks. All negative.

I have had a lowered immune system for years from having epstein barr and was also drinking alcohol regularly before the incident so I know my immune system is pretty low.

Considering all of the negatives is it unlikely that I have HIV?

I know PCR testing is not reliable for diagnosis because of the false positives but do they ever give false negatives?

Considering i have a lowered immune system can I still trust an antibody test at 12 weeks?

Would symptoms last this long? (7 weeks) and is a dry cough and PN early signs? (have been reading that they would be in a later stage)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Very sick and can't work, help? new
      #267320 - 09/26/12 04:27 PM

Recent research has shown drinking does not affect cd4 counts. So as far as that weakening your immune system it's a non issue. Epstein Barr does affect your immune system though. The negative tests so far are incouraging though.

Understand this the symptoms from an HIV infection as it is from all viral infections is not caused by the virus but instead caused by the body's reaction to the virus or antibodies. That is why symptoms are nonspecific for HIV. They are the same symptoms you have for any viral infection.

That said again the fact you have symptoms and are not showing at very least an questionable HIV test result is promising that you do not have HIV. The tests are highly sensitive and are able to pick small amounts of antibodies early on.

In your case one more test 3 months out would be appropriate, but until then I wouldn't worry to much about it because everything thus far has been negative and the odds are extremely in your favor because the other person is not known to be positive. Even if they were known to be beyond a shadow of a doubt you would still have the odds in your favor. The reason for this is HIV has very specific conditions to which it can infect. The estimated risk for infection under the absolute right conditions is 50:10,000 in your case. That means you have a 9,950 chance that you weren't infected if the other guy is indeed positive and has a viral load high enough to infect others.

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: Very sick and can't work, help? new
      #267357 - 09/27/12 08:55 AM

Quote:

I had an antibody test, p24 test, and a PCR RNA test, all done at 18 days after. All negative. Had another PCR/antibody at 4 weeks then 6 weeks. Then an antibody at 8 weeks. All negative.

these tests pretty much say you are negative. shortly after infection there are hundreds of thousands of virus copies floating in your bloodstream. the PCR RNA would have been positive if you were indeed infected, either at 18 days or at 6 weeks. you need to follow up and test at least 3 months from this incident, but expect a negative result.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1816

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3