Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Nt7290

Reged: 09/01/12
3 week test results and symptoms
      #266018 - 09/01/12 11:03 PM

Exposure: gave and received unprotected oral sex with another homosexual man. My mouth and throat definitely were exposed to pre-cum, but no post-orgasm ejaculate. After possible exposure, I had dinner, got something stuck in my teeth and noticed gum swelling where food was stuck that night when I flossed to remove food particle. I understand this is considered low risk.

Symptoms: mostly ongoing from 21 days to present (27th day post possible exposure). Noticeable fatigue (my most prominent symptom), headache behind eyes and ears, muscle fatigue, sore throat, mouth and throat ulcers, some diahreah and soft stool, some nausea, slightly swollen lymph nodes (less sure about this.. Parts of neck tender to touch, no visible swelling), rash on neck, sore/stiff neck and shoulders, NO FEVER.
Edit: lymph nodes in groin may be slightly swollen (I'll admit, I just looked this up and can't tell if they are or not for sure).

Tests: blood specimen provided at 24th day after exposure. Results say this: HIV-1 = negative; HIV 1/0/2 Abs, Qual = negative; HIV-1 DNA = negative.

1) what did these different tests test for specifically?
2) how reliable are these tests between 3-4 weeks after exposure (24 days)
3) given my exposure, symptoms, and current test results, what should my next step be?

Edited by Nt7290 (09/02/12 01:10 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: 3 week test results and symptoms new
      #266028 - 09/02/12 08:25 AM

Salivia kills HIV which is why your odds from receiving are .05 in 10,000 or giving 1 in 10,000 for becoming infected. i expected your odds are better to be in some accident going to work than getting HIV from oral sex.

However 3 weeks is just too early to test. You need to wait until 6 weeks to get a pretty much accurate test result and 3 months for a negative to be conclusive. Oh and stop looking up symptoms.

Nt7290

#266032 - 09/02/12 11:54 AM

Thanks for the numbers on risk. Those match what I have seen elsewhere.

I would not have expected my antibody test at 3.5 weeks to be conclusive, but had hoped that the HIV-1 DNA test at 24 days/3.5 weeks would carry more weight.

Do you (or anyone else) have information on reliability of HIV-1 DNA test at the point I'm at?

Thanks for your help.

Nt7290

#266038 - 09/02/12 01:25 PM

For example: http://www.hiv.va.gov/patient/faqs/DNA-HIV-test-accuracy.asp

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3