Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
orlean34

Reged: 08/25/12
PCR RNA and P24 tests accuracy at 18 days with lowered immune system?
      #265887 - 08/25/12 11:13 AM

I had an incident where i was receptive in anal sex for a short period, in and out once. I did notice that he had a decent amount of precum. I also noticed afterwards that there was some blood from my anus.

2 weeks later I had a stiff neck, mild sore throat, body aches, headache, mild fever (under 100). The fevers were not often and only lasted less than an hour or 2. All of the symptoms were mild except the fatigue and most came and went.

It is now 4 weeks after and I am having lots of fatigue, dry cough, my muscles still ache. my joints are popping and cracking, and muscle twitches all over.

No rash, no swollen lymph nodes, no high or prolonged fever, and no bad sore throat.

I had an antibody test, p24 test, and a PCR RNA test, all done at 18 days after. All negative.

I have had a lowered immune system for years from having epstein barr and was also drinking alcohol regularly before the incident so I know my immune system is pretty low.

Here are my questions, please feel free to answer any you feel confident in knowing. Thanks so much!

1. Would I have a lower or indetectable viral load in the beginning if i was infected with less of the virus? (ie from precum as opposed to ejaculation)

2. Would my suppressed immune system produce a higher viral load in the beginning as I am less able to fight off the virus?

3. How would having a lowered immune system affect the accuracy of the PCR RNA and P24 tests? (I am already aware of how it affects the antibody test)

4. How confident can I feel with these results being negative at 18 days?

5. Would any of these tests be 100% accurate at 30 days or will I have to wait until 90 days for the antibody test to be totally sure?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2774

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3