Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
treeoflife1

Reged: 08/18/12
Primary doctor says to test at 6 months??? Please Read. Looking for insight...
      #265838 - 08/23/12 02:36 PM

So i had 15 seconds of unprotected sex with a possible sex worker. I was tested at 7 weeks Oraquick and received a negative result. The clinic lady seemed to have preset answers to any question I had and had no real interest in my well being. She said 3 months is conclusive and anything before that doesn't mean anything. I went to my primary doctor today and he was like well they say to get tested at 3 months and 6 months. This is all going against everything ive been reading on this website and everywhere else. What should i believe and should i feel confident in my current negative status????
THank YOu everyone

Edited by treeoflife1 (08/23/12 04:57 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hecate

Reged: 08/21/12
Re: Primary doctor says to test at 6 months??? Please Read. new
      #265842 - 08/23/12 03:43 PM

Didn't you post a few days ago?
You have a strong indication you are negative. Wait a few weeks, test at the three-month mark and don't worry about it again. I too have read, heard and was assured that the three months test is conclusive.

treeoflife1

#265844 - 08/23/12 03:49 PM

yeah ive posted a bunch, but i went to the doctor today fill a prescription and brought up my 7 week test thinking hed agree that it was a good indication of my negative status, and he said 3 months, 6 months test...and that got me back to panicing...

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #265849 - 08/23/12 06:11 PM

It's a pity so many doctors are uninformed about risk and testing windows. If you had a real risk then 3 months would be in order. Only under a small number of circumstances might a 6 month test be needed, such as someone on immune suppression medications due to an organ transplant.

If I recall you are just 16. Perhaps not only is your doctor poor informed, but he was trying to scare you by making it worse than it seems. The fact he doesn't recognize that a 7 week negative coupled with no risk should be the end of the story, speaks volumes about him.

treeoflife1

#265850 - 08/23/12 06:25 PM

Im 18 and your right crabman i question the actual knowledge these clinic workers actually have, due to their fast cookie cutter responses. She looked me dead in the eye and said my 7 week negative did not mean a thing....I didn't even try to fight with her about everything ive read up on.
As for my primary doctor, i think he has not taken any interest in present HIV information and is just restating guidelines from the CDC.
THanks again crabman...much appreciated.

Sherezade
Master

Reged: 03/28/12
Re: Primary doctor says to test at 6 months??? Please Read. Looking for insight... new
      #265852 - 08/23/12 08:14 PM

Well, doctors can make things much worse than they really are, maybe it's not their intention but only ignorance. Turns out that I've been with three differents infectologists. One of them, the one I trust the most, told me it's was conclusive with the 4th generation test that I had at fifth week. So, he told me not further test was warranted. The other one told me that I had to test at three and six months, and the other one told me I had to test up to a year.
The thing is that I had a negative result at three months and I haven't tested anymore. It don´t care what infectologists tell me, it's conclusive and I don't have hiv. It's such a waste of money to get tested every month, and the more important thing, is such a stressful situation that I don't want to go trough that ever again.
As for you, the clinic lady is wrong when she told you that your seven week negative doesn't mean anything. It does mean a lot, because most people show detectable antibodies within 21-30 days. So it's a great indicator that you don't have hiv. if you want an advice, take just one more test at three months just for mind peace, and forget about it. Don't put yourself in risk anymore. Good luck!

hecate

Reged: 08/21/12
Re: Primary doctor says to test at 6 months??? Please Read. Looking for insight... new
      #265862 - 08/24/12 05:34 AM

I'm sorry treeoflife, I really was only asking if you were the same person.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2339

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3