Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Shehan

Reged: 08/07/12
So confused if Im infected with HIV - Please help
      #265322 - 08/07/12 01:07 AM

Dear DRs/Friends

First of all please let me thank you guys for the wonderful job done via this site. I have two nagging questions on my mind and I have been tortured for the last few months over this.

1. I'm a 25 year old bi-sexual living in New Zealand. I always practised safe sex except one incident in Sep 2011 when I had unprotected sex with a male and end march when the condom my sex partner using broke when he was inside. But all my positive test results started from Mid March onwards.. Please read...

I donated blood on 12th March 2012 and after 1 month around 5th April I was informed by the doctor at the donor centre that my antibody test for HIV was positive yet my western blot was indeterminate and the NATT was negative. They got another sample on the same day , April 5th and the results were exactly the same. Positive antibody, indeterminate western blot negative NAAT and negative viral load. Then they suggested me to do another in 1 month. I did another test on 7th May and in that test my anti body was positive, western blot indeterminate and NAAT positive. I was so worried. But then they did a viral load test at another reference lab on the same sample and found it to be negative. Then the docs wanted another test which I did on 14th June. This was after 3 months from my first test. The results were ==> antibody positive western blot indeterminate NAAT negative and viral load test negative. Since they were confused I repeated the test after 1 week which was on 21st June. This time the donor centre did the NAAT test 20 times and out of those 20 tests 2 has come weak positive. Still when the reference lab did the viral load test 9 times on the samples got on that same day and it all were negative. They did further tests like checking inside my white blood cells for the HIV DNA particles ect... Yet they couldn't find any.

I know the complication of my situation and even the doctors are baffled. So to summarise. All the times the antibody was positive, western blot indeterminate and viral load negative. The NAAT was positive only 3 times out of 23 times. All NAAT tests were done at the donor centre and when the same samples were used for the viral load testing in reference labs it all came negative.

2. I previously had anal sex with a male partner. This was before all these things happened. When he tried to put the condom on he put it the wrong way. Then he took it out and put the right way and inserted in me after putting a lot of lube. I'm so much scared if some of his pre-cum was there on the tip of the condom since he changed sides. What risk does it have with respect to HIV?

Please help me on this since I'm so worried and tortured over a few months with out knowing what is happening.

Thanks a million
S

Edited by Shehan (08/07/12 09:42 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
Re: So confused if Im infected with HIV - Please help new
      #265324 - 08/07/12 03:54 AM

Regarding 1) it's not the first time I read something like this. It looks like you have some kind of autoimmune disease that is causing the false antibody tests. This has been ruled out with your multiple NAT and PCR tests which are way more specific, as these are designed to detect proteins of the virus itself.

Regarding 2) someone can answer you better. My advice would be to change condoms in such cases. When it happened to me, I threw the condoms and wore a totally new one. After all, they're not too expensive.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Shehan

#265325 - 08/07/12 04:02 AM

Thanks a million. U think there was a significant risk involved in the second scenario?

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #265327 - 08/07/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks a million. U think there was a significant risk involved in the second scenario?

No, I don't think so. But just to be extra safe next time, throw the condom and wear a totally new one. And don't forget to use water based lubes for anal sex.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Shehan

#265328 - 08/07/12 04:38 AM

Thanks again

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2636

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3