Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
paranoid88
New User

Reged: 07/27/12
Recent High-Risk Activity and possible symptoms of ARS
      #264955 - 07/27/12 08:51 PM

Hi all,

I am a gay male and I was recently spending a month in Spain and I decided to be a little promiscuous and do some anonymous cruising. On July 6th, I had an encounter with one guy and he was rubbing up against my anus. He then tried to insert it forcefully with no warning and no condom, but he didn't get inside very far and I pulled him out immediately. He then came, but I can't remember exactly where, it may have been around my anus. In any case, when I was cleaning up, I wiped my anus and I noticed a little bit of blood, which is a result of his forceful penetration I assumed.

On July 21st, I had another encounter with multiple men, about 5 total. I made out and performed oral sex on all of them. With one, he insisted he should let me penetrate him but he didn't have a condom, and since back then I didn't know as much about transmission as I do now, I let him inside about 3 times, with each time not lasting any longer than 10 seconds, and he never came inside. I also let another man there inside me afterwards with no condom, but he did not thrust much at all and the time inside lasted about a minute. He did not cum inside either.

Now the day right after that on July 22nd, almost two weeks exactly after the first incident, I woke up slightly congested with a runny nose, that has persisted until today, though it has become even milder. This past week starting on the 23rd, I started developing very mild headaches that last pretty much all day. I also started feeling slightly nauseous and developed a dry cough that has become more severe until finally receding today. However today, the 27th, I also had my first case of diarrhea.

I didn't really think much of these symptoms until I looked up symptoms for HIV and then started to freak out. The consistent dry cough, congestion, and dry nose are not usually reminiscent of ARS, but the headache, nausea, and diarrhea are, and the initial congestion and headaches began right around the two week mark of the first incident.

Now I'm going to get tested anyway, but what you all think about my chances? Considering that I was penetrated for very little time. I have a feeling these symptoms could of also been because of the various making out that took place the day before my congestion started, readjusting to the new time difference (I live in the US), or just not sleeping enough because I have been so busy.

Also, when do you think would be the best time to get tested? August 7th will be the one month mark, but which test should I take and how accurate is it? I know that I need to get retested at the 3 month mark, but I would like some peace of mind before then. I'm starting a new job and moving to a whole new state and I would prefer not to have this hanging over my head. And to be sure, I will always insist on condoms from now on know that I know just how easily HIV can be transmitted.

Thank you very much for your attention,
A

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Recent High-Risk Activity and possible symptoms of ARS new
      #264958 - 07/27/12 09:59 PM

First off don't pick and choose what symptoms to ignor just to make it fit HIV. HIV has no defining symptoms hence why you can not base a diagnosis of HIV on symptoms. Only a test can tell you whether or not you have HIV.

As far as your risk penitrative sex carries a high risk. With or without ejaculation. Precum can also transmit the virus. Being you had multiple partners you increased your odds of having one with HIV.

I am not going to guess your chances that would serve no purpose cause as I see it it's either you did or didn't contract HIV.

Testing at six weeks is your best bet with any test. It will give you a sense of where you are heading for the three month test.

Being that you had a lot of changes and the food handling is different in other countries you may have just been feeling the effects of that. Any way you look at it though you can only wait for your test results and practice safe sex from here on out so really no need to get worked up about it. Getting worked up about it will only make you believe you are sick which will make you sick and make you not trust your test results.

So just wait to be tested. If you are recently infected it's not gonna make a bit of difference to wait. If you not then again not gonna make a bit of difference.

paranoid88
New User

Reged: 07/27/12
      #265052 - 07/29/12 07:56 PM

If I were actually symptomatic at this point, wouldn't be due to the attempted penetration from the first encounter? The actual penetrations happened one week ago from this date, so it wouldn't make sense that my symptoms would be from an HIV infection then right? What are the chances that simply ejaculating on my anus got me infected? When I wiped there was only some blood from the attempted penetration and I wasn't actively bleeding. Can someone shed some light on this possibility?

Thanks,
A

kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #265053 - 07/29/12 08:09 PM

No one can shed light on any possibility. All we can do is guess. Is it possible yes, is it plausable sure to some degree, did it happen who knows. Only a test can tell you for sure.

It makes absolutely no difference as to what we say to you. Like I said only a guess educated as it might be its only a guess. So heed my intial advice and wait the six weeks and don't fret over it. Worrying isn't gonna change any outcome.

Sherezade
Regular

Reged: 03/28/12
      #265054 - 07/29/12 11:36 PM

Ok, first of all don't rely on symptoms to self diagnose HIV, some people don't have any symptoms when infected, and when you do get ARS symptoms these may vary so much, but the main one is a very high fever, which apparently you haven't had so far. Anyway, you did have a risky situation, so you have to get tested, that's the only way to know your HIV status for sure. You have to get tested for all STD as well. If you find a place where you can run a 4th generation test (combo or duo) you can do it at four weeks post exposure. If you test negative you can relax because it's a pretty reliable result and just do one more at 13 weeks post exposure to confirm. I hope that you test negative, and that you can learn from this experience for you not to put yourself in risk anymore. Good luck!

ashler1977
Veteran

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #265057 - 07/30/12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Also, when do you think would be the best time to get tested? August 7th will be the one month mark, but which test should I take and how accurate is it?

Reading your story, your last risk was on July 21 (receptive unprotected anal and receptive unprotected oral), so one month would be still in 4 weeks.

It does not matter if you were penetrated for a few seconds or a few minutes. Some people have sex with HIV positive people, unprotected, for hours, and because they are lucky, they don't get infected. And some people, with just a few precum during few seconds get infected. Don't play Russian roulette and use ALWAYS condoms for any anal, vaginal or oral sex. ALWAYS.

If you have the chance to get tested with any of the tests of 4th generation below, then you will have an accurate result by six weeks (these tests are used in France and a result 6 weeks or more with THESE and only these tests, are definitive to exclude infection)

Architect Ag/Ac VIH Combo
Detect HIV v.4
Vidas HIV Duo Quick
Access HIV Combo
Genscreen HIV Ag-Ab Ultra
Liaison XL Murex HIV Ab/Ag
HIV Combi PT
Enzygnost HIV Integral II
Murex HIV Ag/Ab combination
Advia Centaur HIV Ag/Ab Combo

http://ansm.sante.fr/S-informer/Points-d-information-Points-d-information/Tests-combines-de-detection-de-l-Ag-p24-du-VIH-1-et-des-anticorps-anti-VIH-1-et-VIH-2-disponibles-en-France-au-01-aout-2010-et-conformes-aux-criteres-de-l-arrete-du-28-mai-2010-Point-d-information

Good luck.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5079

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3