Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
litebrite

Reged: 06/20/12
Infection from a double blood draw?
      #263942 - 06/20/12 07:40 PM

The articles I've been looking at have been outdated or in a slightly different scenario from what I've experienced, but I'm still concerned.

Last week, I went in for a medical examination that required an HIV test. I had taken one 3 months prior and my results were negative. In this recent visit, I watched the nurse take out a butterfly needle from a package and put on gloves. I turned away to avoid looking at the needle going into my skin and blood getting drawn out. However, she only managed to get half a vial from my left arm and suggested that we try my right arm. She tied a tourniquet around my arm, I quickly turned away and it took about 45 seconds to a minute before she inserted the needle. When she finished, I looked below me and saw a blood filled catheter tube.

For some reason, at that moment, the thought ran through my head "Did she reuse the same needle on me?" But the thought didn't hit hard until a couple of hours after I got home. I was worried for a couple of days, looking for comfort, but I was convinced that I might be infected! I called the clinic back two days later. It wasn't the same nurse but I asked about their procedure and they said they use different needles for every attempt. Still not convinced.

I suppose my questions are:
1) These days, is it possible for a nurse to reuse a butterfly needle?
2) Even if she did reuse the same needle, with my own blood, is it possible for me to get infected?
3) Should I bother getting tested at 6 weeks?

Only nurses who are certified to draw blood for HIV tests can do it, right?

There were no other patients present that were getting their blood tested as far as I'm concerned. But I really don't want to live in fear for the next few weeks over something I MAY not even have. But even with the possibility of being infected, I'm being careful as to not infect others.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Infection from a double blood draw? new
      #263943 - 06/20/12 08:37 PM

Being a hard person to stick at times the phelbotist has used the same butterfly needle many times on me. It even happened the last time I went. So relax. Your being too paranoid for nothing.

litebrite

Reged: 06/20/12
      #263948 - 06/21/12 02:47 AM

Thanks for the answer.

The major freak out for me is the fact that I wasn't watching the nurse the second time and then threw my trust out the window.

If anything, this experience made me realize how uneducated I am about HIV.

Again, thanks!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #263958 - 06/21/12 09:18 AM

So now what are you going to do with that realization? Even if your not infected, its still a good thing to learn about. You may come across a friend that finds heself in the same boat as you , and if you learn you can help out better.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2324

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3