Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
anne
Unregistered

Symptoms - very scared
      #26368 - 01/04/02 04:42 PM

Risk - unprotected vaginal intercourse - reciever

symptoms - 3 weeks after had a bad cold/flu that lasted 8 days included fever, diareah, runny nose, cough, extreme fatiuge, bad sore throat, joint paint (felt like growing pains in my legs) sweating and 1 dizzy spell.

a week after these symptoms I got an itchy rash (red with bumps) on my back which lasted 2 days, 3 days after that I got a rash on my forehead that did not itch, was not red and was just alot of tiny bumps, it lasted 5 days, 1 day after that I got a rash on the back of both of my arms, it looked like chicken pox or acne, it itched alot and has lasted 7 days.

my period was also messed up right before I got the flu. I'm getting tested but I think this is it for me. I don't have any swollen nodes but everything else is pointing towards hiv. I don't think this could have been anything else cause I wasn't concerned about hiv until I learned about the symptoms on a std show my kid was watching

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms - very scared new
      #26372 - 01/04/02 06:22 PM

Hi Anne,

I think I may have some very good news for you! The rash associated with recent hiv infection isn't supposed to itch. Itchy rashes are usually an allergic reaction to something.

Also, the fact that you got a runny nose helps separate your flu-like illness from the one associated with recent hiv infection. There's not supposed to be any runny nose, so it looks like you might have had a regular cold.

BUT PLEASE get an hiv test. There is no way you can use symptoms to diagnose hiv, even doctors can't do that. Plus, some people get hiv and never experience any symptoms at all. So please practice safer sex, and get tested. I think you will be fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#26375 - 01/04/02 07:04 PM

Hi Anne.

I'm with you about the fear associated with symptoms. Like the previous poster said, the fact that you had congestion/runny nose may suggest that it was a cold after all. We are in the middle of cold and flu season. As for the diarreah and joint pain, that could be attributed to stress. You mentioned that you have a child. Feeling guilty about doing something that you deem "irresponsible" when you have child will do a number on the stress level.

I had the exact same symptoms 3 weeks after my unprotected hetero sex encounter. Mostly just a low grade fever and runny nose but the guilt tells me that it has to be HIV. I also have a child so I have been beating myself up about not being "smarter".

If it has been 3 months, go ahead and take the test. It is better to know than to wonder. Regardless of the result, you will be empowered. Just keep in mind that straight, non IV drug using men have a low prevelance of HIV.

I am due to take my test in the next couple of weeks. I pray that you, I and everyone in the window period will be negative and that we have learned a lesson.

If you need to vent while you wait, we are all here. Keep in mind that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Now....go hug that kid of yours!

Keep us posted on your progress.

M-

JO1
Unregistered

#26406 - 01/05/02 01:50 AM

I had some of the same symptoms. I initially didnt worry about HIV but I got some wierd symptoms as well. I had soar throat, fever, and also had some joint muscle pains in my legs and arms that felt like growing pains. I didnt think this was just a coincidence but I tested negative 6 months. I guess symptoms dont mean anything.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1248

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3