Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hope2012
Regular

Reged: 06/09/12
Convinced Infected but test negative almost 6 months
      #263638 - 06/09/12 06:49 PM

I had a high sex exposure this year, following that I started to have almost all severe ARS related symptoms: lesion on foreskin, night sweats, chills, itchy on scalps/over body, rashes, white tongue, hand numbness/arm stinging, weight loss, gum soars, muscle/joint pains, uncomfortable body, fatigue, runny nose, cough...Many of these symptoms persist until now after 5 months. I took AZT prescribed by my primary doctor for 3 weeks during the 3rd month after exposure, which had helped my symptoms a lot. I measured CD4 three times, which ranged from 530-730, with % ranged from 31%-33% (low bounds or a tiny out of normal range of 32%). So, based on these, I am definitely convinced that I got HIV contraction.

The strange thing is that all antibody blood and OralQuick tests came back negative 23 weeks, the PCR RNA HIV-1 says undetectable (<20 copies) before and after AZT use, the HIV-2 proviral DNA says not detected (2 months after stopping AZT).
I am confused, could not explain why AZT helped symptoms, why have very low cd4 counts, and why I still have all these persistent symptoms. Likely I am a very rare case to show antibody late.

Update: at 26 weeks (6 month) ClearView HIV 1/2 rapid test still negative, muscle/joint pain and extreme fatigue are the main symptoms now, really really could not understand why AZT would have helped a lot for body if it was not HIV what else it could be?? why cd4 is low and why still have these acute symptoms?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KenC
Fanatic

Reged: 05/30/12
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Belive Infected but test negative almost 6 months new
      #263639 - 06/09/12 07:07 PM

Indeed very strange. I would have to go with the scientific conclusions of the tests you took. I know that anxiety can cause all of symptoms to become real, but your case seems very extreme. I highly doubt it is anxiety creating that bad of symptoms. I don't know what to say.

I don't mean to question you, but do you think you may have an allergy to something that may be causing your symptoms?

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Convinced Infected but test negative almost 6 months new
      #263641 - 06/09/12 07:34 PM

What kind of irresponsible doctor would put you on AZT 3 months after a possible exposure when you tested negative? And AZT at that. You need a new doctor. One that understands you NEVER give someone PEP if it's been more than 72 hours after a legitimate exposure and I believe now a days that Truvada is what is prescribed.

All that said....if you have tested negative by 6 weeks after a possible exposure than most likely you are negative and all you had to do was take a test at 3 months to confirm that.

It's a waste of time for you to be doing CD4 counts. Especially since you are still testing negative at 23 weeks.

You don't have HIV. Get your imagination under control before you ruin your life chasing something you don't have.

hope2012
Regular

#263642 - 06/09/12 07:54 PM

Hi Crabman, my doctor prescribed AZT to me after two weeks, I took it until 3rd month because symptoms was killing me, indeed I felt well after taking the medicine. KenC, I don't think it is due to anxiety and allergy, e.g. profuse night sweats, even right now the muscle/joint pains put me laying on bed. Personally I wonder AZT delayed the antibody, one expert asked me to test 3 months after AZT and 6 months after exposure that is 3 weeks later from now.

Edited by hope2012 (06/09/12 07:58 PM)

crabmanModerator

#263643 - 06/09/12 08:10 PM

" I took AZT prescribed by my primary doctor for 3 weeks during the 3rd month after exposure, "

my doctor prescribed AZT to me after two weeks, I took it until 3rd month

Pretty big difference and changes in a story like this tend to cause those of us that read a lot of these to pause and say...hmmm adjusting the story to make it sound more dire.

Either way your doctor was medical irresponsible in his actions by putting you on AZT at 2 weeks or for 3 weeks during the 3rd month, and just based on that I sure wouldn't put my life in his hands. He's probably missing a correct diagnosis on what ails you. Hope his malpractice doesn't end up killing you because he has failed to explore other options.

Oh btw. I'm really sorry for your symptoms, but after 17 years I've never experienced any of those symptoms that you claim are classic to HIV because of HIV. Perhaps maybe cause HIV symptoms aren't classic and mimic dozens and dozens other other illnesses. Also the A in ARS stands for ACUTE. Which means the symptoms suddenly come on and just as quickly the ALL clear up within about a week. From what you have described your issues are about as far from ARS and HIV infection as you can get.

That's why good doctors relay on test results and not a patients list of symptoms to diagnosis or prescribe medications.

Seriously find yourself an intelligent doctor. You might just live longer.

Edited by crabman (06/09/12 08:24 PM)

ruans
Master

Reged: 01/15/12
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Belive Infected but test negative almost 6 months
      #263652 - 06/10/12 09:04 PM

I dont tell people it is anxiety or any of these things because noone knows his body better than yourself.
Now, ARS can las up to 10-12 weeks and nothung is black and white especially with HIV.
Did you get a fever at all?
I had >3 weeks low grade fever, night sweats 8 weeks on and off neck and chest, hot flashes, thrush no white tongue THRUSH, rash did not itch chest, rectal ulcers, loss 15 pds, headache, severe neck pain, malaise, leg pain. NO respiratory symptoms at all which shows it was no cold or Flu. I am 100% sure is HIV and I am working with scientists on a viral culture. But because my symptoms have been extremely classic and all after sex with CSW.
Have you been tested for Hep B, Mono, EBV, etc?
Was your exposure here in US?

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #263654 - 06/11/12 12:16 AM

Nothing is black or white with HIV, but you had all the classic symptoms of HIV? Pray tell what symptom is classic with HIV that can't be classic of say the flu or a common cold in the ars stage? I'm quite serious if there is one that is classic to HIV as far as symptoms go I would love to know. There should be a paper written. Better yet we can tell everyone there is no need for testing cause there is one tell tale sign of HIV infection. Who needs tests and doctors?

I've said this before and I will say it again for your benefit. If you don't have HIV confirmed by a test and insist there is something wrong with you anyway and it's HIV then you should not be offering advise on anything. All you are doing is feeding the delusion you have and the delusions of others. Not helping not being supportive being destructive and just plain ignorant.

Plus it's arrogant and ignorant to say you had more risk than anyone because of this or that. No where does it say that people in certain classes are higher risk than others. A dr has just as much and equal risk of catching HIV with their bf/gf who is a lawyer if neither one ever tested as a homeless man would sleeping with a sex worker. HIV has no stigma. The risks are based on sexual acts and behaviors not social status.

Case in point many people contract it from their loved ones who both believed they weren't at risk because they are straight or rich or what have you. Never once have you heard anyone in the know say don't worry about HIV cause you had straight sex with a white person who is rich. It's based solely on the act and the odds of contracting it from someone known to be positive. And always with a grain of salt until a test can be performed.

crabmanModerator

#263659 - 06/11/12 09:14 AM

A worried well that continues to insist he has HIV in the face of negative test results does't strike me as a useful source of information. We already know you twist facts to your purpose.

Oh and if you really want to brag about how great your risk is compared to others.... I'd say that all of us that have HIV had a greater risk than you. It's not a contest.

Now back to the worried well dungeon where you belong.

hope2012
Regular

#263661 - 06/11/12 10:10 AM

Hi, I didn't test Mono, EBV, but test all other regular STDs including Hepatitis B,C etc. which were ruled out. Yes, I had fever, profuse night sweats over body etc. Yes, I do believe that test can tell if have or not, and I am waiting for more tests.

KenC
Fanatic

Reged: 05/30/12
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
      #263663 - 06/11/12 03:39 PM

I agree. You gotta go with the scientific side when it comes to this and many other things. Everything is in the test results. And there are so many other things that will "seem" like HIV symptoms.

hope2012
Regular

#263666 - 06/11/12 04:25 PM

I can not wait for another 2-3 weeks to get 6 month mark. Certainly I also rely on tests, the weird thing is that AZT helped relieve symptoms significantly, which made not to believe it is HIV, desperate for these months already.

ruans
Master

#263667 - 06/11/12 05:01 PM

Do you think that getting Thrush with the FLU is normal. I dont.
We should believe the test of ocurse, but TEST ARE NOT 100%. HIV mutation occur and will continute to occur as the virus spreads around the world, as people infected gets reinfected, etc. You have to be blind or someelse not to believe what science knows that False negatives will occur with structural changes in HIV genome and core proteins not identifiable by current tests. YOu deny that?
Thank you

ruans
Master

#263668 - 06/11/12 05:05 PM

"Most people infected with most strains of HIV, including non-B strains, will have a positive ELISA, followed by a positive Western BLot. Patients with HIV-2 will have a positive ELISA screening test for HIV antibodies and a negative or indeterminate western blot; in such cases, performance of an HIV-2 western blot is appropriate.

Patients with Group O ('O' stands for 'Outlier', and 'M' stands for 'Main') or non-clade B M strains of HIV-1 may have falsely negative ELISA screening tests for HIV. Additional antibody testing can be done via the US CDC (see Jaffe reference below) in the event of a high index of suspicion on clinical or epidemiologic grounds for HIV infection in regions of highly prevalent non-B clades, as in Asia or Africa."
Dr Renslow Rogers . Taken from a question here at the Body.

crabmanModerator

#263669 - 06/11/12 06:12 PM

Yeah OK. You worried wells that want to fight to the death to try to validate the impossible are just to taxing and since I personally don't care if you ruin your life over something you don't have, I only have one thing left to say.

Enjoy the crazy.

hope2012
Regular

#263670 - 06/11/12 06:16 PM

This sounds scared, I thought that antibody test detects all 1 and 2 types (o belongs to 1)?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25672

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3