Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
dontbelieveit
Grand Master

Reged: 03/25/12
Stupid ass fucking window period!!!!!!!!!!
      #263274 - 05/26/12 04:42 PM

Just got off the phone with the HIV hotline. Now their telling me that if you have a known exposure with someone you know have HIV, the window period is six months. They say if you have mutliple exposures, your body builds up an immunity and makes it longer for you to create antibodies. Aint this about a bitch. Why dont they just say six months? What if you have sex with someone and don't know if their positive. Everyone doesnt know their status. I am so sick of this. I've heard 6-8 weeks, 3 months, 6 months in very very rare case. Which one is it???? DAMN!!!!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Stupid ass fucking window period!!!!!!!!!! new
      #263275 - 05/26/12 05:55 PM

So frigging what?!? You are at two years post exposure with negative tests results. Nothing you are bitching and moaning about even pertains to your situation. Now go take your doctors advice and seek mental health counseling and quit burning up the phone lines taking up people's time that would be better spent counseling someone with legitimate concerns.

KenC
Fanatic

Reged: 05/30/12
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
      #263478 - 06/03/12 06:20 AM

The window period, from what I understand, is just a general time frame and is not specific for everyone. The people from the hotline are somewhat correct. Everybody has a different immune system. Some people have strong immune systems that make dormant for months and possibly a year or two. And some people have week immune systems where they get symptoms after a couple weeks. It is difficult to gauge it.

Sherezade
Master

Reged: 03/28/12
      #263505 - 06/04/12 12:40 AM

Just a comment about the window period:
Most HIV experts agree that the window period for a regular healthy person is three months. Actually this is quite conservative, because if infected a healthy person would show antibodies at only 21-30 days post exposure. But they say three months to cover everyone, even those with natural low inmune systems. Six months window periods only apply in very specific cases like people under chemiotherapy, organ trsaplants and long term intravenous drug users.
If you apply the logic you will see that it makes no sense that if you have contact with a known seropositive person you should test out to six months. There's not difference of knowing the person status or not because if you're infected you would show antibodies during the accepted window period no matter what.
So, I would say that three months is the conclusive time to test for most people, of course leaving out the three specific cases mentioned above.

Sherezade
Master

#263506 - 06/04/12 12:48 AM

Also, I find very curious that a person that works in a HIV hotline doesn't know this information. They, over all people, should be updated with the recent information to be able to help concerned people. Could it be that you didn't understand them well? Because what they said about multiple exposures and not creating antibodies for long term doesn't make sense at all.
I edit because I just realized what the HIV Hotline person meant and he/she is right.
When you have multiple exposures the window period is longer. For instance if you have an exposure today and then another one in two months, the window period is five months from the first exposure and three months from the second.
So every time you have a risky situation, a new window period starts. I guess the important thing is to avoid any exposures, so you don't have to think about windows periods.

Edited by Sherezade (06/05/12 11:37 PM)

dontbelieveit
Grand Master

Reged: 03/25/12
      #263507 - 06/04/12 01:04 AM

KenC what r u talking about??? U r confusing me!!!!

Sherezade
Master

#263510 - 06/04/12 01:44 AM

Dear, I don't doubt that you have symptoms and you feel sick. Believe me, I am in the same situation. But don't you think that you're too obssesive with the HIV subject? I had a risky situation three and a half months ago and two weeks ago I did the test and when it came back negative I accepted it and I moved on to find the real cause of my illness. You cannot spend your whole life chasing ghosts, because you are going to end up in a mental home. So, forget once and for all about HIV and try to find the real cause like I'm doing. Please don't take this in the wrong way, I'm trying to help you.
I'm having symptoms of all kind and tomorrow I'm going to set an appointment in a acupunture place to see if they can help me.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3424

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3