Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
nico
Unregistered

Symptoms mean EVERYTHING!!!
      #26318 - 01/03/02 10:37 PM

I used to work at an std clinic in Chicago:

If there was anykind of exposure - low or high - and then followed by more than 5 symptoms related to hiv (ie rash, fever, swollen nodes, joint pain, diariahh etc) beginning 2-4 weeks after the exposure...hiv is a very strong possibility regardless of wether it was high or low risk.

even condoms that don't break can make an infection

Ask any Dr. If you go to an emerg with symptoms and a possible exposure in the last 2-4 weeks the first thing they will do is give you an hiv test.

High or low doesn't matter much, an exposure is an exposure, the possibility is there and all it takes is once. Nobody can say it is impossible to get hiv from a one time low risk exposure.

that being said many symptoms can be caused by the mind, but not swollen glands and rashes, fatigue, joint pain etc.
you can always tell the worried wells cause they have symptoms 3-4 days after exposure or 6 weeks after, or they have just fingered a girl or touched dandruff.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms mean EVERYTHING!!! new
      #26326 - 01/04/02 07:59 AM

The one area I have to disagree is the chance of getting infected if one is wearing an intact condom. The hiv virus will not pass through a latex rubber.People do lie about the type of exposure and so called low risk is not accurate.

gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
      #26327 - 01/04/02 08:37 AM

I also totally agree. Symptoms are very important and everyone should be very intouch wtih their body and what is going on with it.

I also agree that when something is going on it should be looked at by a doctor, proper tests should be taken and the person should find out what is going on.

What I want to warn about is making self diagnoses and deciding before tests results come back or even after tests results come back that there is something wrong with you that just isn't there. There are many people on here that have been tested only to say that they feel they are the rare one that dosn't sero convert prior to 6 months. That they have some rare form of HIV that dosn't produce Antibidies. That there was a mixup at the clinic or that the clinic made a mistake and infected them by not using a clean procedures when the blood was taken.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not picking or bashing any specific person here. I more then understand the fear that is out there over HIV and know all too well the things that can go through your head when you are trying to figure out what is going on with your body.

All I am saying is pay attention to your body, when something starts to happen that isn't "normal" go see a doctor, do the tests and trust the results and don't self diagnosis.

Gregg

Gregg629@aol.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Symptoms do not mean ANYTHING!!! new
      #26349 - 01/04/02 02:26 PM

Symptoms by themselves do not mean anything. It is just the combination of most of them which might be scary. You cannot draw any conclusions based on your symptoms. On another side, most seroconverted people did not experience any symptoms. They just realized that they were HIV+ through other tests.
Moreover, wearing a condom is the most effective way for not getting the virus; denying that is a nonsense.
For the story, I had all these symptoms and, after 8 months, I am still neg.

bae16_24
Unregistered

#26733 - 01/09/02 11:51 AM

Can you just tell me what the symptoms are exactly and how they affect your immune system. What stages are there in the symptom range? How can someone I know that needs to know this information contact you in any way?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1526

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3