Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
tcocoa
Regular

Reged: 07/19/07
hiv transmission
      #262600 - 04/22/12 12:06 PM

In jan 2012 my beloved nephew passed away due to a massive stroke and he was only 41. long story short, my nephews friend and I decided to comfort each other during this difficult time. I wanted to die with my nephew i might add, anyway, over the course of 50 days(from jan 18th-march 31st) we had unprotected sex off and on and then the bottom fell out. He found out my status and of course my fear was the reason i didnt disclose because it is a small town who is judgemental of everyone and everything. we continued the relationship briefly until I couldnt bare to have my 14 yr old daughter around the drama and i left. He tested neg 2 wks post exposure and will test again at the three month mark. He was so sure he would test poz the 1st time. Although, im not on meds (my insurance lapsed) my viral load was still low after two years off meds(9,000) and Im pretty healthy. im very afraid of what he can do now trhat he is upset i left. Also, i know that he was with other women prio to me coming to town in january. But, i guess im the target because my status is known. someone shed some light on this for me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: hiv transmission new
      #262602 - 04/22/12 05:46 PM

First of all you need to look into other means of obtaining your meds. Have you looked into your State's Pharmaceutical Assistance Program. Look into this through your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) . Also send a Pm to PosinThailand in this website. He knows of many programs where you may be able to get assistance. And you can go to your local health department and speak with a case worker there. Some pharmaceutical companies aslo have assistance programs. I'm sorry you didn't feel comfortable enough to disclose your status to your partner , but thats water under the bridge now. Chances are that his neg tests will continue to be so. It's more difficult for female to male transmission, but not impossible. All I can say about that is be glad that now you don't have to keep it a secret anymore. In the future be open and honest. How you percieve your diagnosis is how others will . It is just something that is chronic and managable. You can pm me if you would every want to talk privately. Theres not many sites where a woman can really talk to another woman. We have different health issues from men . I wish you the best with how this guy handles it . The fact that he had other encounters helps but the best thing is his neg status.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

tcocoa
Regular

#262621 - 04/23/12 09:02 AM

Thank you so very much for the information. I gues because i had been in a marriage for almost 20 yrs and I didnt have to deal with the negative backlash because my husband at the time accepted my status and i was also pregnant when i found out and it was never a problem btwn us(ex hubby is neg) ex was exposed to it because we had sex for years w/o protection so i was shoicked when i turned up poz and he didnt. I know where i contracted it and i fault my stupidity. But, anyway from now on I will be open and upfront and I have evn started devoting more time to how i can help others who have been crimninalized because of their status. This has definitely been a wake up call for me and i will pm posinthailand about those programs. thank you and i keep praying for my situation.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #262622 - 04/23/12 10:14 AM

tcocoa
Regular

#262627 - 04/23/12 12:34 PM

Advice taken. This was my first time getting involved since my divorce. up until then I have been in a monogamous marriage for almost 20 yrs. lesson learned and feeling dumb because I did NOT realize that ppl were going to jail for consensual sex being HIV+. i have been sort of wrapped in my own world because i was married, working and going on with life, i didnt read alot of info on this because i was healthy, taking my meds and seeing my doc twice a year so never thought about reading up on the latest. once again lesson learned, and right now he hasn't ventured that way and hoping he doesnt. truly, feeling sad for all the ppl who have become a victim of criminalization when that same money to imprison someone can be used to educate those who still continue to sleep around and take chances and then want to cry and point blame when something happens. Criminalizing HIV only says that HIV neg ppl are not responsible for themselves. I know who i contracted it from but NEVER once did i think about prosecuting because I, not HE was the one who should have been more careful 24 yrs ago(he was my first husband and i rushed into the marriage w/o a blood test)and he knew when he married me that he was infected. I dont hate hima nd i forgave him.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #262638 - 04/23/12 08:18 PM

If ever you want to talk Cocoa just pm me. I've lived being pos for 20ish years now. And to think one can't get meds in this country is outrageous. Our support group has been having a rep from Bristol Meyers . And I will ask her about patient assistant programs through her company. So please get in touch with me.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1227

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3