Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
insano

Reged: 03/26/12
Going crazy over possible infection
      #262030 - 03/26/12 07:34 PM

I had an incident at a HIV testing clinic that has got me paranoid to whether or not I may have contracted the HIV virus. I had a finger-prick blood sample taken and tested with the Clearview HIV rapid test. The result came back negative but for some reason I was worried that not enough blood was collected in the sample.

The healthcare worker performing the test then wanted to reassure me that enough blood was taken so I was shown another patients HIV Clearview test to show me the bottom of the test tube to explain how little the amount of blood was needed to be collected in the end of the tube. At this time I am worried that there may have possibly been minute blood droplets that have got on me somewhere from him opening the end of the test tube in front of me. Worried about this issue he then wanted to show me that even opening the testing vial quickly that no blood would come out. So he put his BARE HAND into the BIOHAZARD bin to apparently retrieve my test. I do not know for a fact that it was my test because there must have been a few in that container. Well when he opened the HIV test vial I saw some clear liquid, possibly the solution from the test but I'm not certain of this, fly through the air onto the ground. I do not know if any liquid got on me but I was told the blood mixes with a solution in the buffer.

I was told that all the tests that day were negative and there wasn't a positive result in weeks and that I should not be worried, but I know that it takes 3-6 months for there to be a definitive answer and to rule out false-negative test results.

My question is, is it possible to be infected from a negative test result testing tube that was possibly a false-negative result from a person not waiting the recommended window period? Would I feel even a minute amount of blood or liquid fall on me? I feel that I have been put at risk because of the irresponsible actions of the healthcare worker. This has driven completely to the point of almost a complete mental breakdown and I cannot concentrate on the important things in my life anymore. Thank you for your time.

Here is a picture of what the Clearview HIV test looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/3uCVS.jpg

And here is a flash demo of how the test works.
http://www.invmed.info/pub/flash/clr_complete_hiv/index.html

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dontbelieveit
Grand Master

Reged: 03/25/12
Re: Going crazy over possible infection new
      #262032 - 03/26/12 07:53 PM

This is the exact same test I took twice and I don't believe it one bit. Hopefully their accurate. Hope everything goes well for you.

sergio333
Grand Master

Reged: 10/03/11
      #262044 - 03/26/12 10:52 PM

Without possibilities, hugs.

insano

Reged: 03/26/12
      #262056 - 03/27/12 08:00 AM

Please someone answer my question.. I'm going absolutely insane where I can't even function.

BodyBurger

Reged: 02/26/12
      #262118 - 03/29/12 06:20 PM

Okay here's a solid, scientific answer to your question. You could stick your entire hand into a bowl full of HIV and you would not get infected. The reason why is simple. The thickness of the layers of your skin prohibit entry of HIV cells into the lower level layer cells in your body.

Unless you had an open wound on your hand with access to your blood stream of the lower level susceptible cells, there is no way you'd get infected from my "bowl" example. I'd probably tell you to go wash your hands though LOL ....

Your situation is even more silly. You thought you saw clear liquid and youre worried the liquid was a false negative .... that's really a stretch.

Even if positive liquid landed on your arm, you could not be infected. HIV doesnt exist outside the body for longer than a few seconds at most. And the skin all over your body is too thick for HIV to penetrate.

The only places HIV can penetrate the skin are mucous membrane type skin. Those are found inside your urethra. Under your foreskin if you have one. Your eyes. Inside your nose. And I would say your mouth as well, but you've got so many anti-HIV enzymes in your saliva that this is even considered low risk.

So you are literally one thousand percent okay.

Be happy!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2077

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3