Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
nicole1992
Fanatic

Reged: 03/16/12
Possible HIV infection?
      #261882 - 03/16/12 02:51 PM

I had unprotected oral sex on February 9th and I've been worrying myself sick of the risk of possible HIV infection. I know the risks of HIV infection from oral sex is low, but I have some dental issues, like cavities (and a tooth that needs to be pulled), slight gingivitis on one side, and my gums bleed sometimes when I brush. I know this makes my risk higher.

I went to Planned Parenthood a week after and did a rapid HIV test and a full panel screen for other STDS and it was all negative. I suppose testing is what brought the HIV fear the front of my mind. A week or so later I noticed that my lymphnode was swollen and my throat was feeling a bit tight like there was something stuck in in (the tight throat has since gone away, the lymphnode is still swollen) and I started to lose my appetite and was having digestive issues (which may be because of the stress I put myself through because I freaked out). I noticed white patches on my tongue that went away within a few days after I started brushing my teeth better and using a tongue scraper (I'm not sure if oral thrush will go away without treatment)

I went and got another rapid HIV test and an EIA test on the 27th of February to calm my nerves because at this point I was freaking out and I was too upset to go to school and go to work. These tests came back negative as well.

I took another antibody test on the 10th of March, which was my 29th day since the unprotected sex (and a nurse at Planned Parenthood said most people develop enough antibodies to be detected on a test by 28 days) and this was also negative.

I'm not gonna be fully comfortable until I reach the 3 month mark and I won't feel absolutely better until the 6th month but I just really need to hear what other people say.

As of today my lymphnode is smaller than it was when I first noticed it, my tongue no longer has any white patches and hasn't since I noticed it a few weeks ago, my digestive issues seem to be getting better but I still hear alot of gurgling in my stomach, but I've been feeling lightheaded often.. However, along with the lightheadness I get pressure in my head which leads most people to assume it's allergies.

Thank you for reading this and I'm sorry if I rambled. This is just scary.

(I forgot to mention that he didn't finish in my mouth)

Edited by nicole1992 (03/16/12 03:03 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whattodo22

Reged: 03/11/12
Re: Possible HIV infection? new
      #261884 - 03/16/12 08:02 PM

i'm not expert, but i kno what you are going through. The fear. the fear that this mistake could be with you forever. I've beeen tested twice myself from an encounter on jan 14th. once at 5 days, and once at 51. Most people say the first month people have anti bodies already, and since the sex was oral, the risk is low. I know you are scared. I'm feeling the same way, and waiting for 3 months is like a long nightmare. my bet is you are fine. I hope this finds you some comfort

nicole1992
Fanatic

#261932 - 03/21/12 02:21 AM

I went and was tested again at Planned Parenthood on my 39th/40th day. The rapid was negative and I also did an EIA that I'm waiting for the results for, which I assume will be negative to. It helped take the edge off quite alot, but I still find myself freaking out every once and a while, which I assume I'll be doing until I reach my 3 month mark.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #261937 - 03/21/12 02:11 PM

nicole1992
Fanatic

#261941 - 03/21/12 06:11 PM

Unprotected oral isn't a no risk activity, it has risk, it's just minimal. I understand what you're saying and maybe I am worrying about nothing, but I wouldn't be worrying at all if oral sex had no repercussions. It isn't impossible to be infected with HIV from oral sex, especially when you have dental issues such as gum disease, a few cavities, and a tooth that needs to be pulled.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #261949 - 03/22/12 01:58 PM

nicole1992
Fanatic

#261952 - 03/22/12 05:14 PM

I'm sorry if I've offended you in some way, but the whole purpose of this board is to discuss our fears about HIV infection. THIS website even lists oral sex as a low risk activity that COULD transmit infection. They say saliva can't infect a person and that's usually what people share when eating/drinking after a person, not blood or semen or whatever. Apparently it's possible for the disease to enter the blood stream if you have cuts, sores, gum disease, and dental issues.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #261969 - 03/23/12 08:23 PM

NIcole, your concerns were whether or not you were infected even though your tests keep coming back negative, We don't intend take ones fears lightly , but if there is neg results time and time again, then we can only conclude that your looking for more then neg results. We aren't looking to argue about stats . We give our educated opinions . The rest is up to whomever is the poster.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

nicole1992
Fanatic

#261972 - 03/24/12 01:02 AM

You're right, and I wish I could just take your word for it but I keep thinking "what if I didn't wait along enough time?".. I'm still having stomach issues and I've been getting headaches everyday and my lymphnode is still swollen and I know these can be a thousand things but I've attached my brain to this and it just will not let go. I just get so bummed out about it sometimes and other times I think "what are the odds I'm gonna have it?" and can't imagine my life having it and I start to feel better but then I get slammed with the thought again.

nicole1992
Fanatic

#262033 - 03/26/12 07:58 PM

I went on 3/19 to get tested again. This time I did a full screen for chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea,a rapid HIV test for my nerves, and an EIA test. I called the Planned Parenthood line today to see if my results were in, the results for the first test were, they were negative, but the test for the EIA wasn't which is making me think all kinds of crazy things.

I was under the impression that the EIA test looked for different things than the rapid hiv test.. I know rapid's look for antibodies.. Do EIA tests look for the same?

dontbelieveit
Grand Master

Reged: 03/25/12
      #262040 - 03/26/12 10:16 PM

@AIDS2HIV you said "listen lady, you can believe what the government CHOOSES to push to the public, they have their own agenda... it doesnt make it accurate or FACTUAL". If we shouldn't believe everything the government pushes out, why should we believe what they say about the accuracy of the tests, etc????

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3772

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3