Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
sexytani12
New User

Reged: 01/27/12
Should I be Worried!!!
      #260642 - 01/27/12 01:55 AM

Please give me some Advice,
About 2 years ago I had unprotected sex with guy I was dating,
We always used condoms but one time we didn't, and after that one day I noticed I was having funny smelling discharge and itching I was so scared because i knew My body really well. I went to the doctor and Found out he gave me a std trichomoniasis to be exact. I was so devasted and lost for words because I couldn't believe one slip up and that would happen. I dumped him because he was obviously nasty. I had to take some oral medication for 7days. After I went back she checked me again and told me everything seems to be clear and good now, but i should have a hiv test done. I was just so devastated and lost . Anyways I didnt get the hiv test done because I was so nervous and scared to see the results. So i Prolonged it for a long time . I finally got the courage after driving myself insane 188 days later which i think is about 6 months and a couple of days.
I went to the clinic they tested me for stds and everything came back negative but i still had to wait 2 weeks for my hiv results . the worst two weeks of my life. I got the results and it was negative as well. I was so relieved and so over joyed. I have not put myself at any high risk situation since then My lesson has been learned. But I dont know why that hiv fear has come back in my mind again like what if the results are wrong, what if my body didnt detect anything at 188 days. I guess im just looking for confirmation should i retest again is 188 long enough for something to be found. Please can someone give me some answers i just wanna move on with my life and stop re living that horrible incident.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #260655 - 01/27/12 11:35 AM

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Should I be Worried!!! new
      #260709 - 01/28/12 03:08 PM

Just see it as a reminder as to what not to do . like it's just a re-inforcement for the future. When these thoughts come see it as what it could of been then thank God for how the outcome was. He is the One to thank you know . Never forget what you went though but don't obsess over it now either.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

sexytani12
New User

Reged: 01/27/12
      #261053 - 02/08/12 03:45 PM

Hello, thank you for responding to my post,
I'm going to go get another hiv test done on friday. you mentioned that hiv does not hide inside the body but i've been reading abut hiv and alot of sites mentioned that some people have hiv for years and never have symptoms or anything of that sort. So hiv can hide in you body without you knowing.
Also some the the sites mentioned that some people can take longer than 6 months to develop antibodies.

kicker
Veteran

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #261056 - 02/08/12 05:19 PM

Just because people don't have symptoms doesn't mean that they aren't infected or that the virus is hiding or that your immune system isn't producing antibodies to fight it which is what is tested for.

The reason people go years without symptoms is rather complicated, but the jest of it is this.

Your body produces two types of CD cells (more actually but we will focus on two) CD4 which are used to fight infections and CD8 which help throttle your CD4 response to an infection. The CD8 cells kick in after you start having symptoms, you don't have symptoms till your immune system kicks in. When the CD4 kicks in the CD8 starts to take notice and sends out their little guys to break up the fight. The CD4's don't know that they are also causing damage by bringing out their crew to clean up the streets, but the CD8 does.

The CD8 then goes into overdrive to make sure the CD4 doesn't over do it and hurt you more than the infection does. All this takes energy and our bodies are built to conserve energy. When the CD8 goes into overdrive it stops the CD4 from causing symptoms. It stills allows enough out to fight the infection on a low key war rather than an all out knuckle down fight. So you still have antibodies floating around and plenty of them but without the nasty side effects thanks to the CD8 cells.

Over time the CD8 gets warning that the cd4's are losing the battle and becoming fewer and fewer in number and realize, "Oh crap that's right forgot we were having this war." And they start allowing the CD4 to kick back into overdrive, but its already to late they are out numbered and out gunned. But they put up a fight and start causing symptoms again. That is why you have people walking around not knowing they are infected, because their bodies tricked them.

As far as people not converting before 6 months. This is a broken record that really should be updated, but you ever hear the saying "Cover your ass"/ C.Y.A. as I like to put it? That being said the six month thing was instated back when testing was new. The tests are much more accurate and sometimes to accurate. You have a greater chance of a false positive than you do a false negative.

Yes in certain cases, conversion can take up to six months. Those cases are if you are receiving treatment for CANCER, or if you have another autoimmune problem that prevents you from producing antibodies (CD4) cells to begin with. Trust me if you had any of that you would know. You made no mention of it so you don't have to worry about that being the case. A 3 month test is conclusive. So take it and then be done

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2739

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3