Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
gabby12345

Reged: 12/28/11
Possible needle infection 5 days ago, need help.
      #259655 - 12/28/11 03:50 AM

Hello.
This is my story, It is extremely stupid and I'm aware of that.
Last Thursday (5 days ago) I wondered off from my friends during the course of a heavy drinking session. I remember very little, but I do know that I ended up with a homeless person in my apartment, and that she was cooking crack in a spoon in my kitchen. I am fairly certain that she was shooting it, and I can't say with 100% certainty that I didn't also use the needle. I checked myself all over, and there are no marks on my body that would definitively show that a needle entered, but I'm not sure that a syringe mark would leave much of a trace anyway.
I am freaking out. This woman did not look well, was fairly old and obviously had a habit of shooting drugs based on what I saw. She would fall into a high risk category.
I'm going in to get a test that looks at my blood to see if a virus is present in 2 days (from now), because I was told the minimum time before I could get the test was 7 days from possible transmission.
Hypothetically, If I did shoot something, (it would have been in my leg or thigh) my chances of contracting hiv presuming she was infected would still only be something like 1 in 150 right? (67/10,000)
This number seems very, very low but its the one that this site and others keep giving me. Anybody know why its so low? I would think HIV blood + needle in clean host = HIV infection closer to 100% of the time.
What if I shared a cigarette or pipe with her?
I'm completely driving myself crazy right now, any help would be really, really appreciated.

God bless

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Possible needle infection 5 days ago, need help. new
      #259656 - 12/28/11 07:15 AM

If you did share the needle and she does have HIV, which is a good possibility if she is a long term IV drug user, then you have roughly a 90% chance of becoming infected. IV Needle sharing is the number one way to become infected. The CDC places it at 9000 per every 10,000. It's too late to start PEP which must be started within 72 hours.

While the test with the P24 antigen can pick up infection early, I'm not sure it can do so in 7 days. Get yourself into a doctor KNOWLEDGEABLE about HIV infection and discuss your options. Good luck.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Possible needle infection 5 days ago, need help. new
      #259662 - 12/29/11 10:03 AM

Perhaps you can find that woman again and as her about what happened that night. But regardless of how much you drank you would of remembered what other get high you would of done. I have been pretty plastered in my old days and would always know when I shot up still. But either way get tested and learn from this experience.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2459

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3