Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
frankie78

Reged: 07/18/11
needlestick injury (medical worker)
      #256601 - 07/18/11 07:11 PM

I know my risk is extremely low, but the more reassurance I get, the better I feel. I work for a medical device reprocessing company and we collect single used devices from the operating room. I was picking up a container one day and a syringe (that should have been in the sharps container) stuck the side of my index finger. I bled and quickly washed and applied iodine solution.

Now, here are all the facts. The needle was a small 25 gauge needle that was almost completely full of clear fluid. The fact that the syringe was almost completely full makes me think it was not used. Also - the fluid was completely clear - no tint of pink/red from blood. We only pick up containers from this specific hospital once every 60 days - meaning it could be anywhere from 1 day old to 60 days old, but it was towards the bottom of the container so it was probably not too recently used. After getting stuck I looked at the syringe and saw no visible blood, and when I pressed on the syringe only clear liquid came out - no blood. Further, this was for a day surgery section at the hospital - they have no trama and every patient is screened beforehand. They also rarely take infectious patients (they send them to the main hospital across the street).

I took truvada and azt for 2 days after the incident, but felt too ill and decided my risk was low enough to stop taking the medication.

I had a full physical exactly 28 days after the exposure (26 days since I stopped the PEPs).

I tested negative for HIV/hepatitis/lyme. The lyme western blot proved igM negative and igG negative for lyme disease, but the ELISA lyme igM test was positive - false positives can be caused for a number of reasons - including viruses.

I understand 28 days (actually 26 days because I was on PEPs for 2 days) to test for HIV is a little early - I'm just afraid that I haven't seroconverted yet and that's why the ELISA igM was a false positive - igM is the antibody to test for recently infections.

Like i've said - physically I feel great and now it's actually 33 days since I was possibly exposed.

Can someone offer reassurance?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
justagirl72
Fanatic

Reged: 04/28/11
Re: needlestick injury (medical worker) new
      #256618 - 07/20/11 03:40 PM

I'm thinking your safe.. test at 13weeks anyway. Just so you know your status and ease anxiety

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.
Something infinitely interesting

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1515

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3