Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
adams1

Reged: 07/06/11
Some Questions
      #256444 - 07/06/11 12:08 PM

Hello. I am 24, and I live in California. Here is what is going on right now. In 2007, I began being sexually active. I was not always safe. I slept around a lot, but eventually stopped doing so. I had my first HIV test in Sept. 2007, and it was negative. My second HIV test was in late April, 2008, and it was also negative. In February, I did experience some rather weird symptoms. I remember I had two large swellings, they were located directly under my earlobe. They were easily visible, and I also had quite a few night sweats with a fever. They went away after a week or so, and I never thought much of it. After that, nothing else happened. I lived life, and everything was fine until just recently. Now in 2011, I began to get palpitations when I lay down. I also got this weird rash on the side of my outer, right thigh. It's just a small patch, but it does not itch and it's tender to the touch. I also developed lumps in my inguial area.

I went to the doctor yesterday. He told me that I the rash looks like Shingles, but could also be something else. He also said that the lumps felt much like a Hernia. I don't know about the Hernia part. When I feel it, I feel three round, very hard lumps that are sore.

My question is, do these sound like things that someone might experience in the asymptomatic stage of HIV? I know it's possible for someone to live with it for years, so this is why I am asking. My ultimate questions are:

1. What do swollen, inguinal lymph nodes feel like?

2. Does Shingles (Herpes Zoster) normally appear in just one, small, tender patch?

I also have one other question. 2 months ago, I began taking Vitamins. Just to be healthy. I never take them, ever. So, I began taking them, and now this rash and swelling has started. I was curious, so here is questions 3:

3. When some begins taking HIV treatment, they may get shingles or swollen lymph nodes because of the Immune Restoration (recovery) thing. Is it also possible that if someone who is HIV positive, that never takes vitamins, is to start taking vitamins - could the vitamins (boosting the immune system) cause the same affect like HIV treatment and cause shingles or other symptoms?

Please answer my questions if you can. I already have an appt. for Friday for my third HIV test. I just want a little peace-of-mind if possible.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Some Questions new
      #256445 - 07/06/11 12:38 PM

Shingles can happen to anyone that has had chicken pox at any time or never shingles are not again are not a tall tell sign of hiv infection. Stress age certain allergic reactions etc can all play a role in a appearance of shingles. The lumps could also be ingrown hairs, a subdermal zit etc people get them all the time. My brother has to go at least one a year to have his asperated dr says its just part of growing up and genetics.

Just an fyi asymptomatic means no symptoms.

Get a rapid hiv test done on friday and if you havent had any recent exposure (ie 3 months prior) then put hiv to rest if its negative. And stop taking the vitamins. Your symptoms may be a result of a toxicity to one of the many mineras in them.

adams1

#256448 - 07/06/11 02:19 PM

Okay. I agree with the vitamins. I have been feeling so different and weird after taking them.

I don't think the lumps are from ingrown hairs though. These are internal, very internal and there is no redness or sores on the surface of the skin. They feel like round, swollen and very, very hard lumps. They are also wiggly, and I can wiggle them from left to right. Now move them, they always stay in the same spot. They just wiggle. There are also three, so I am not sure if that would be a hernia like my doctor said it could be. Do swollen lymph nodes wiggle, and are they round and very hard?

adams1

#256479 - 07/07/11 10:10 PM

Did the test today instead. Negative. No more worries.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1069

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3