Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
kittycat

Reged: 07/02/11
lymph nodes
      #256396 - 07/02/11 02:01 AM

Hello everyone,
i'm at 7 weeks after possible exposure to hiv and i have swollen lymph nodes since 6 weeks.i went to the doctor twice and the last time i went they did a neck ultrasound and it showed enlarged lymph nodes in neck.They couldn't find anything wrong from blood tests(no infection,no cancerios cells etc.).The lymph nodes don't go away with antibiotics.At 4 weeks they went away but they came back last week.They cause pain but not always.Now after using antibiotics for 3 days they are better but i'm worried it isn't the antibiotics that are making them better since they came back the last time.Do you think this is ARS?Is it possible for ARS to prolonge this long (6 weeks)? Btw, i tested negative (ELISA) at 4 weeks when the lymph nodes were small but as i said they came back again.I'm very worried.Answers are very appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: lymph nodes new
      #256399 - 07/02/11 12:29 PM

Lymph nodes can become enlarged for a variety of reasons and can't be used to judge if you have an HIV infection or not. That being said, the fact it is only the ones in your neck that are concerning you is a good indicator that this is from some other issue since HIV infection causes all the lymph nodes to enlarge.

What was your exposure?

kittycat

#256401 - 07/02/11 02:27 PM

Thank you for your answer.It was a high risk encounter and i was very drunk so i recall unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse but no ejaculation with 2 guys.I have been diagnosed with depression 5 months ago.Btw,i am female.I'm using non-steroid anti-inflammatory medicine as well.Can lymph nodes related to ars get beter from that?As i said,I'm at 7 weeks mark and i still have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck is this possible?

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #256402 - 07/02/11 02:44 PM

NSAIDS can cause soft tissue infections (which the lymph nodes are) Along with a host of other infections and conditions. Clearing up and reoccurring after treatment with antibiotics points to the cause being medication related.

Since the lymph nodes are the body's filters for infections it may not have shown up on blood work, you may need to aspirate one to get an actual answer whether its infected.

kittycat

#256403 - 07/02/11 03:01 PM

Thank you for answering.At first i only used antibiotics now i'm using antibiotics+anti-inflammatory medication.After antibiotics the lymph nodes got smaller and stayed that way until last week.Last week suddenly the lymph nodes on the right side of my neck got very painful.It hurt to swallow and i felt pain in my right ear too.Now after 3 days of medications the pain is reduced(i only feel a little pain while swallowing) and the swelling got better.I'm very worried since it was a high risk encounter.Can this be ars?I've heard that antibiotics won't work if it's ars but would anti-inflammatories work?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5793

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3