Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Ham1973

Reged: 05/20/11
Negative at 2months, still worried
      #255776 - 05/20/11 07:38 AM

2 months ago, I had a solid needlestick while operating on a HIV positve patient who wasn't even aware of her status. I started PEP within 50min and completed the 28days. I tested negative to antibody tests at 6wks and another now over 8 wks but I'm still worried I can't even concentrate on my work. I,m scared to death please someone help me!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
justagirl72
Fanatic

Reged: 04/28/11
Re: Negative at 2months, still worried new
      #255777 - 05/20/11 09:18 AM

Ham I def can relate to the situation. My needle stick(insulin) happened in March I have had trouble sleeping and concentrating. Alothough the data is strong with pep it lowers the transmission risk by 81%(I read in some places). The worry is still there. I go for my 3month test in June (just a few weeks ) can I ask what drugs they had you on? also Im impressed you got the pep in 50mins! how long did they tell you you had to test till (my facility says 1 year).
I wish you the best. Healthcare isn't an easy job.

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.
Something infinitely interesting

Ham1973

#255782 - 05/20/11 01:46 PM

Hi
I was placed on Efavirenz, Etricitabine and Tenofovir. I've not had any symptoms suggestive of ARS but the worry is terrible. I was told to test till 6 months but the most important been 3months. It' very rare to seroconvert after 3 months, so I was told. Please let's keep in touch.Take care!

justagirl72
Fanatic

Reged: 04/28/11
      #255783 - 05/20/11 02:42 PM

No symptoms thats great. The meds made me very sick the last week I started to turn jaundice..the reytaz was suspected. Yes this has been a rough 2 months for me too. I have had symptoms but I wasn't sure if it was medication or "ARS" related or doing direct pt care (med/surg floor) I could pick something up from there coupled with stress. I just wish to have a final answer-just like you. Do you know if the pep delays a final result? also my pt had hep B&C. I have heard a couple of yes it does from 1 month to 1 year to no it doesn't affect it. I will keep you posted my next test is in June. Keep in touch

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.
Something infinitely interesting

Ham1973

#255786 - 05/21/11 03:12 AM

I read in a study that people taking antiretrovirals for other reasons before exposure can have results delayed, not PEP. My next test is on the 15th of june, let's continue hoping for the best. I have colleagues here in Nigeria who refused PEP and are stll fine. This is my e-mail=vitalisudeh@yahoo.com

Ham1973

#256195 - 06/15/11 06:15 AM

I did another Rapid test at 6wks post-PEP( 10wks post exposure) and it came out negative. With this what are my chances? Please give your thoughts. Thank you in anticipation.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2665

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3