Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
zairen

Reged: 05/17/11
Risk of HIV?
      #255705 - 05/17/11 10:33 AM

Hey guys,

I had sex with a sex worker on 4th April

Anyway, I'm not sure of the sex worker's status but she carries a condom around in her bag (it's alright right? as it's not compressed or anything).

Anyway, I performed cunnlingus on her and from what I've read so far my chance is low? (cause HIV is in the fluid at the cervix not the vaginal fluid that occurs when the girl gets aroused or something? ) I just wanna re-assure myself though :X

In addition, *sorry for graphic details* but I sucked her nipples, fingered her and had protected vaginal sex with her. I'm not sure if she put on the condom correctly but I assumed so since she appeared to know what she was doing (i'm just afraid there were some small holes/tearing in the condom). But if it's anything, after the sex, me being paranoid, I went to fill the condom up with water (didn't really wash it) to see if it leaked. The first time there were some drops though I think that was because when I filled it up, some water got splashed on the outside but after patting it dry and filling it up again, there was no leak even as I squeezed near the tip. Does that mean the condom is safe?

Also, after that, I checked my fingers and mouth and found no visible sores/cuts but I'm still worried of contracting it. How likely am I to get it? [Let's assume she is HIV + for worst-case scenario]

Thanks & sorry for the lengthy post

I'm worried that the fluid (not the fluid in the vagina but the one outside when women get aroused has high concentrations? though some forums that i've looked through indicate that it is highly unlikely and that it's a theoretical risk?)

But anyway,
Just last week (on the 5th week mark) i went for a rapid HIV test and was negative.

I also fingered her though the counsellor who administered the test just waved it off and told
Me I will be fine when I asked if I needed to return for a 3rd month test.

I just want to know how accurate/conclusive the results are? The country that I'm in has a HIV prevalence rate of 0.1% as of 2009. If it's of use.

I've not had any symptoms except a runny nose (i think i caught it from a good friend) and some rash (though could be weather and it's only a couple <5)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: Risk of HIV? new
      #255706 - 05/17/11 11:29 AM

i agree with your counselor. you will continue to test negative. sucking nipples, fingering and protected vaginal sex all are not risks for HIV. performing oral sex is extremely low risk, per-act risk estimate is less than 0.5 out of 10,000 exposures. your condom did not break. you would certainly know if it ripped or tear. you doing a leak test is definitive proof. moreover, your negative test at five weeks is further indication that you are negative. most people test positive by week four. all signs point to you being negative.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

zairen

Reged: 05/17/11
      #255775 - 05/20/11 06:26 AM

Hey thank you bartleby!

If I may ask some more questions, is it possible for ARS symptoms to show up 6 weeks and 4 days after the encounter? Prior to this I only had some red bumps (I saw a doctor ytd who identified it as insect bites), slight runny nose last week and a sore throat which disappeared because of medicine on the day of the encounter (does the sore throat increase risk of HIV?)

Today I suddenly had nose bleed (blood didn't flow out - I think was a combination of hot weather and me clearing my
Nose) and from afternoon till now I have been having this very bad runny nose - I keep sneezing and there's loads of
Mucus. Other than that I don't have a high fever, or enlarged lymph nodes ( Is it obvious to detect?)

Yes so just worried that it might be ARS? Is it possible to only
Show up at this stage? Maybe because of a weaker immune
System or smth?
Thanks!

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #255778 - 05/20/11 10:44 AM

ARS usually occurs two to four weeks after exposure, sometimes not at all. you can't diagnose HIV based on symptoms anyway, because symptoms are unreliable. they are too broad and can be unrelated. moreover, stress and worry over HIV can bring about more "symptoms." that being said, again, your risk was extremely, extremely small. HIV is not your problem. you don't have to worry about it. for peace of mind, you can get a test at three months. it will be negative again.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1391

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3