Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Stressing

Reged: 05/05/11
Cut elbow and the countertop
      #255501 - 05/05/11 01:20 AM

Can anyone tell me my risk in this situation?

I work in a medical lab and was on the phone about a month ago. My elbows were on the countertop and when I hung up the phone, I noticed a small amount of blood on the countertop I was sitting at. Apparently, I had a small cut on my elbow and had been rubbing it on the countertop for a few minutes. I know that no one had worked at that station with any patient specimens for at least 18 hours. I've noticed tiny spots of dried blood on the countertops around the lab since then. Could I have been infected in this manner???

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nocturnity
Regular

Reged: 04/10/11
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Cut elbow and the countertop new
      #255502 - 05/05/11 05:34 AM

Nope. You'll be fine.

Stressing

Reged: 05/05/11
      #255507 - 05/05/11 09:37 AM

So I'm just being extremely paranoid. I'd read that HIV can't survive long once it's dried, but wasn't sure. Any chance that by rubbing my cut on the countertop got active virus in my bloodstream?

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #255509 - 05/05/11 10:03 AM

I'd be more concerned about Hep then HIV. HIV is a weak virus, it dies very quickly outside the body. Hep C & B last for long periods. I believe Hep B can live up to a week. Hep C can last up to 4 days.

Being these two are far more common than HIV, and that they are more efficient infections that would be where my concerns would be laying. They both can cause lots of damage and can go unnoticed (with out symptoms) for a long time as well.

Plus this is something you should have reported right away especially being on the job. And you should be reporting the "tiny" specks of blood you are noticing. Accidents happen, but the conditions are unhealthy and totally outside of OSHA (if you are in the US) standards.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1531

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3