Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
sephiroth86

Reged: 05/04/11
Petrified of getting tested
      #255494 - 05/04/11 05:33 PM

I know I am probably being irrational, but I have decided to get tested because I had sex with around 7 hookers 5-6 years ago. It was all PROTECTED, but for some reason I just cant shake the feeling that the condoms didnt do their job or something. Even my doc said that even if I decided to test, my likelihood of getting a false positive is higher than my likelihood of actually being infected. But that still offers no solice, and I just cant bring myself to go test yet.....suggestions?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Petrified of getting tested new
      #255495 - 05/04/11 06:04 PM

This is gonna sound cruel, but grow up. If you're old enough to get and pay for a hooker(s), then you should be old enough to go get tested for STIs.

Yes, it's anxiety provoking, yes it's scarey, but wouldn't you rather know then go around infecting others. I agree with your doc that if you used a condom your chances of having HIV are non-existent, but you should have a full STD done. Herpes can side step a condom and lay dormant for years, but still be contagious. That would be my bigger concern, along with hep C and B.

sephiroth86

Reged: 05/04/11
      #255496 - 05/04/11 06:10 PM

Not cruel at all. Thanks for your input. I ALWAYS use condoms anyway, so Im not too worried about infecting others. I think mostly more afraid of hurting my family or such with the results

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #255508 - 05/05/11 09:45 AM

Is it fear of hurting your family or fear that they will look at you in shame? That you will be considered an outcast, a degenerate, a leper? If it's more about the response than the actual telling them, then it's in your head not theirs and shouldn't be used as a flimsy excuse.

I would bet the thoughts around it are more centered on how they will react to YOU. Not the actual feelings they will experience being told (if you have it, which at this point is a void argument). The "what will happen to our relationship", "will I be alone", "will they talk to me", etc, etc.

To that I say, learn what you can about HIV, the more knowledge you have about the problem the less it will scare you. Cause not getting tested is more about you than about them. You're own fears, your own misconceptions.

And again, you may "ALWAYS" use condoms, but things like herpes doesn't care if you use a condom or not. If the person has it the outbreak could very well go unnoticed and skin to skin contact is all you need.

From the CDC:
"HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause, but they also are released between outbreaks from skin that does not appear to have a sore. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected. "
"Genital ulcer diseases can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. Correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of genital herpes."

Reduce not prevent. Like I said I would be more concerned about that.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1393

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3