Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
es2011

Reged: 04/24/11
all the right symptoms, but minimal exposure
      #255385 - 04/24/11 07:15 PM

hello! I'm a 23 year old male in a service program in south america.

Thanks for reading my entry. Like most people on this forum I'm worried sick that I've contracted HIV. I've basically convinced myself that I already have, but before I die from excessive worrying while waiting for a test to come back, I'd love a second opinion.

Facts:

- On March 17 I had a brief oral sex encounter with another member of my service program. Neither of us ejaculated, but we briefly fellated eachother. This is the only sexual encounter I've had this year.

- A couple days afterwards my penis had a rash of half-centimeter size purple spots. My throat became very sore, was full of red and white sores on the roof of my mouth. My doctor diagnosed me with oral herpes and gave me antiviral meds. These symptoms disappeared within a week.

April 17: I had a sore throat and found that I had a thrush infection inside my mouth. I also had more pimples/welts along the length of my face and shoulders. I visited my doctor in a panic, and she told me I'm probably fine and gave me treatment for the thrush.
Over the last week my symptoms have escalated to include fever, sore throat, and lots of coughing.

I will be getting tested again shortly, but while I wait I could really use a second opinion. Is this an unlucky coincidence or did I really get so unlucky that a relatively low-risk sexual encounter with someone who was negative at the time has given me the virus? I would love to believe the latter, but it seems doubtful at this point.

Many thanks for your response!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nocturnity
Regular

Reged: 04/10/11
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: all the right symptoms, but minimal exposure new
      #255387 - 04/25/11 12:53 AM

The good news is, you don't have HIV. The bad news is, you have oral herpes. Herpes, being a virus itself, will also cause your body to respond to the infection. With some people, there are never any symptoms. With others, the body develops a typical viral infection response. You seems to be one of the unlucky ones who developed a response.

The doctor can prescribe some medication to soothe the symptoms but the infection will need to be brought under control by your immune system and this could take a little time. You may also have contracted a bug in the meantime.

So, to summarize, you don't have HIV. That said, always remember to wrap up if you're going to engage in any risky behaviour. Good luck!

Vern

es2011

Reged: 04/24/11
      #255393 - 04/25/11 06:46 AM

Gosh, do you really think so? I know thats what my first outbreak was. But the fever, sore throat and thrush infection of the last week is whats convinced me I picked up something worse. Is it possible for herpes to cause these symptoms as well?

Also, am I correct in assuming that oral sex without ejaculating is a relatively low risk activity? That is to say, if I had picked up hiv, did I get really really unlucky?

Many thanks!

Nocturnity
Regular

Reged: 04/10/11
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #255407 - 04/25/11 04:31 PM

Well, your symptoms could be any number of things, including your body's response to a herpes outbreak. Different people react in different ways to the same infection.

Your HIV exposure risk was minimal at best. I've personally never heard of any confirmed cases of this being the method of transmission. I wouldn't sweat it, if I were you.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3860

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3