Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
RJT

Reged: 04/02/11
Risk from small volume blood ingestion
      #255069 - 04/02/11 12:56 PM

Hello. I noticed some blood smeared on my finger whilst eating in a cafe on a shopping trip. I had been picking my lips so assumed it was that and licked it off to see if there was a cut underneath. However there was no cut to my finger and I couldnt see any blood coming from my lips. I know it was probably my own but if it was someone elses, say from the menu/plate etc is there any chance of me having contracted a blood bourne virus like HIV? Thank you for your advice.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RJT

Re: Risk from small volume blood ingestion new
      #255101 - 04/04/11 05:25 AM

Hello, it has been a couple of days and I am still anxious about this. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

hello1234
Regular

Reged: 02/07/11
      #255104 - 04/04/11 07:27 AM

Assuming the blood was on the menu or plate beforehand, and had been there for some time, HIV is not something you really have to worry about. In blood that is outside the body the virus at best can last 2-5 minutes (HIV is a very weak virus that does not survive well outside a host body). If it was on the menu and you noticed the blood after your food was delivered, it would be longer than that. If it was on the plate chances are it would be longer than that also.

Assuming you didn't have any open cuts in or around your mouth, your risk is nil. Oral ingestion is practically a nonexistant risk, especially if it's blood that's been sitting in open air for some time.

I can't say anything about other possible viruses but HIV is not something you need to worry about.

RJT

#255110 - 04/04/11 03:57 PM

Hi 'Hello1234'

Thanks very much for your reply. I was thinking along those lines and having someone back up my conclusions was reassuring. I did have cracks in my lips which was my main concern as a route of entry. However I attended my local GUM clinic today, who referred me onto A and E, who advised the risk was low especially given the environment I was in, and no further action was required.

Thanks again for replying :-)

Best Wishes,
RJT

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #255156 - 04/06/11 04:13 PM

Please see HIV Transmission.

"Has HIV been transmitted from body fluids placed in restaurant food?"

No incident of food being contaminated with HIV-infected blood or semen has been reported to CDC. Furthermore, CDC has received no reports of HIV infection resulting from eating food, including condiments.

HIV does not live long outside the body. Even if small amounts of HIV-infected blood or semen was consumed, exposure to the air, heat from cooking, and stomach acid would destroy the virus. Therefore, there is no risk of contracting HIV from eating food.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8377

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3