Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
krizner

Reged: 03/28/11
HIV testing, symptoms etc.
      #255002 - 03/28/11 03:02 PM

Hello to everyone

I had one unprotected insertive anal sex, had no ARS symptoms (but do have coxsackievirus with non constant subfebrile temperature up to 99.1F~37.3C. It doesn't bother me, I function normal as always. And if I was not searching for HIV symptoms, probably I wouldnt discover it.), I even didnt catch flu despite it was epidemic and whole my familly catched it.

I tested negative 3, 5 and 11 weeks after exposure. And docs at clinic told me that these are final results and I don't need any further testing, regardless subfebrile temperature and coxsackievirus. And i suppose that would be ok.

But, I have a couple questions more:
- how common are ARS symptoms? Data I found are pretty confusing. Is there any newer relevant study about that?
- And would coinfection of HIV and other viruses result in more severe symptoms?

Thanks alot,
Best regards!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: HIV testing, symptoms etc. new
      #255010 - 03/29/11 10:52 AM

ARS symptoms are not common. a lot of people mistake symptoms for ARS, when most of the time it's not even related to HIV.

meanwhile, HIV "symptoms" can be anything and everything, so the only surefire way to diagnose somebody is through an HIV test.

the standard window period for testing is 12 weeks after exposure. however, an 11-week test is very encouraging and I can understand why your doc would say no further testing. if you were infected, chances are more than likely that you would have developed HIV antibodies by now. I've read it's typical for antibodies to develop by week 4.

however, if you just want to be super safe, then a 12-week test is understandable. but that should be it! the test result will probably be negative and you should accept that and move on. no more googling symptoms and no more unprotected sex.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

krizner

Reged: 03/28/11
Re: HIV testing, symptoms etc. new
      #255018 - 03/29/11 02:58 PM

thanks alot!

i contacted our familly docotor and asked her to give me more details.
she said that state and univeristy clinics here (serbia) use two "window periods".
1) 2 months for standard Ab test
2) 1 month for Ag/Ab test

and that they have never seen anyone seroconverted beyond these window periods.

but i'll do another test.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2662

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3