Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know?
      #25479 - 12/12/01 10:40 AM

Does anyone have an idea how long fluids with HIV will remain infectious when left exposed to the environmnent?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Does anyone know? new
      #25480 - 12/12/01 10:43 AM

If you listen to CDC, 6 month rest of the world some couple of minutes!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#25486 - 12/12/01 11:55 AM

Don't listen to this fool. The CDC is the World's leading expert on disease and infection. The CDC is made up of scientists, many of whom work for other institutions like the NIH or Harvard.

How HIV can live in the environment depends on the amount and type of fluid. For instance, if there was a large pool of blood and it wasn't dry, it could live for hours as
long as the HIV was liquid form. In needles they know it can live for hours too.

Typically if the amount of fluid is small and exposed to air, as soon a the substance dries, the HIV is dead.

If you have any doubts, post the question to one of the experts here on TheBody, as they will tell you the same thing.

We have a couple of kiddy posters who to appease their own fear they spread BAD and Dangerous information.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #25490 - 12/12/01 12:23 PM

This is part of an answer Ryan Kull gave in reference to a question about blood in food.

HIV does not survive long enough in the environment to pose a real risk through contact of this sort. Scientists found that drying fluids containing very high concentrations of HIV(concentrations that are not normally encountered in day-to-day life) reduced the number of infectious virus by 90% to 99%. It is safe to say, based on these laboratory studies, that HIV would become uninfectious realitively quickly when exposed to the environment, making transmission through indirect contact with another person's fluids remote. See "Survival of HIV in the Environment" for more information (http://thebody.com/cdc/survival.html).

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1121

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3