Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
manifestingneg

Reged: 03/02/11
I had all the symptoms of ARS
      #254598 - 03/02/11 03:14 AM

After a drunken exposure in Thailand with a Thai girl, where the condom slipped, I started PEP at 56 hours. I took it for 1 week and stopped due to side effects. I had extreme fatigue begin on day 10 post exposure. I was now back home in the USA. I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day and still fatiqued. Had night sweets, chills, fever (99-101), lymph nodes at back of neck and in groin swollen, sore armpits, poor appetite, neck pain, thrush that started 3-4 days after flu began and sinuses. I also had a mild reddish rash appear. My eyes hurt during this period. I went to Emergency and my platelets were slightly below normal (193) and WBC were low (2.9). The ER Doc said this could be explained by many viral infections. They can also be rare side effects of Combivir. I also noticed new moles and a few bruises that took a long time to heal.
I did a RNA PCR at 15 days with Elisa and 37 days. Both came back negative. The nurse said they also did a P24 because their is study going on, although the results of this would only be released if they were positive. I also did 3 quick tests between the two PCR`s which were negative. I tested negative for Mono, Syphillis, Hepatitis and all other STDs. I`ve been told through STD clinic that they haven`t seen a positive result after a negative RNA PCR/Elisa at 4-5 weeks. They said that I can go back for final confirmation testing at 13 weeks, but mostly for my own sake. I had extreme fatique that subsided last week, two months after exposure. Could my symptoms of been due to an extreme reaction from Combivir and some other viral infection. My blood counts are now normal. I want to start dating and move on with my life. I have met an interesting woman but am hesitant. I had been dealing with extreme anxiety, but it has subsided for the most part. I want to move on but can't explain symptoms I went through other then HIV.

What are my chances of having HIV considering the symptoms and test results? What do you guys think?

Edited by manifestingneg (03/02/11 02:31 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: I had all the symptoms of ARS new
      #254599 - 03/02/11 10:10 AM

Please forgive me but I have a wicked sense of humor. Cue the music for the opening credits of House from Massive Attack.

Ok so you had these symptoms after starting PeP and they seem to fade after you stopped PeP. You got stuck every which way from sunday with lab work and the "professionals" are telling you that it's extremely rare to see a positive result at this point. I blame Sesame Street, telling us that we are special all these years. That bastard Ernie and that demon Elmo. Brainwashing us that we can be the select few.

All joking aside they told you to get tested at three months to "Put Your Mind At Ease" cause they aren't at ease till you are. I understand your fear and anxiety I do, but understand that at this point its just that that, fear and anxiety.

manifestingneg

#254602 - 03/02/11 12:32 PM

You are right by saying that I feel my case is special. You have a funny way of making that point...lol

I've never been so sick in my life and never had thrush.
I can't find any other explanation for them other then HIV. I was even tested for malaria and came out neg. I'm afraid to go get tested again cause my life is back on track again, 10 weeks later.

kicker

#254607 - 03/02/11 04:30 PM

Well you can keep living everyday with fear and anxiety and never be tested again, expose other people to what it is you think you have, OR you can take CONTROL and go get tested.

Just ask yourself is fear really a good excuse to later blame yourself for something you could have prevented? (ie infecting someone else) Could you live with yourself if you did infect someone else. Also knowing means a longer life happier life in either case. If its negative maybe the experience will teach you some responsibility if positive means you can start getting care and prevent the mistake from happening again.

I'm gonna tell you something that most people won't cause they are scared or ashamed.

There is NOT an UNACCEPTABLE way of catching HIV. I got it from having sex. I just wish I could remember if it was good or not. Probably not. Point is doesn't make me any less human than the rest.

As far as your symptoms and another House moment. You were in a foreign country. You either took a boat or a plane, with other people from different Countries. There are countless spores and bacteria that you could have picked up from any source. Any of which could have compromised the immune system enough for an opportunistic infection such as thrush. As well I am sure you ate out, well guess what food hygiene in a stand isn't exactly FDA approved. You may have been sick to begin with with a cold and flew over and were exposed to a fungus or bacteria and god the list and possibilities go on. Also there is a parasite that looks like, talks like, and acts like Acute HIV Syndrome. It's called Toxoplasmosis. It's mainly from consuming undercooked meat. Or eating cat turds...you don't sound like a cat turd eater. It doesn't cause thrush, but thrush attacks anyone with a weakened immune system. Simple blood work can tell you if you have been exposed to Toxoplasmosis. (BTW its a parasite) Your body can fight it on its own. And normally takes about 2-4 weeks to clear up. Just laying out an example, there are others such as a form of mono that they don't normally test for I wish I could remember the name, but presents itself kinda like strep and can cause lymph nodes to swell and thrush to occur I know cause the drs I had looked at that before they even considered HIV. WebMD although great for stupid little things is not a diagnostic tool. I've never seen a dr get on there to check my symptoms.

manifestingneg

#254614 - 03/03/11 01:01 AM

Thank you. Your comment on the fear thing got me to go get tested again today with an Quick test and it came back negative (at 9 weeks). 4 more weeks to go till conclusive results.

I like what you said about not judging yourself for how you get HIV. I was definately very hard ashamed of my drunken actions and this is part of the self-stigmitization that occurs with this ilness.

In regards to stigma, one thing I noticed is that there isn't much support for Heterosexual males in the HIV world. When I was convince I had it (knock on wood my results stay negative) that was one of the things I found to be upsetting. I told myself that if I did end up having it, I would change this.

The symptoms I still have now are a few sore slightly swollen lymph nodes, some muscle twiching, anxiety and fatique that is improving. If my symptoms aren't fully resolved in a month and it's not HIV, I will go for further testing to see if it's something else.

kicker

#254615 - 03/03/11 08:45 AM

Glad your stepping up to the plate and swung a miss. ;-)

Just putting it out there, but what is preventing you from doing something about the straight male groups if you are negative? There is also a reason why there aren't many straight male groups for pos individuals. It goes back to the stigma thing. If your a male and have HIV you MUST have done it with a guy. Stupid and childish, but you can thank the nuts out there (they know who they are lol)

manifestingneg

#254625 - 03/03/11 09:43 PM

I like that idea. I am going to follow up on that. I have been putting my life on hold and living with the thought of I will do that if I don't or I will do this if I do. It's like being stuck at a crossroads. I wish I could just a definitive answer saying I don't.

manifestingneg

#255155 - 04/06/11 03:02 PM

manifestingneg

Re: I had all the symptoms of ARS
      04/06/11 02:31 AM
Reply   Quote  

Tested negative at 90 days post-pep (7 days of pep) and 99 days post event. I'm happy and feel good. Should I fully move on? Should I wait till 6 month and test again? I here that pep can delay things. I had so many symptoms including severe thrush. Today I'm grateful. Just don't know if I can fully put it behind me.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #255158 - 04/06/11 05:10 PM

yep, you should move on. results are conclusive. congrats!

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4379

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3