Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
asd1968

Reged: 02/21/11
Possible infection
      #254470 - 02/21/11 10:10 AM

HI everyone
here like most people because i am panicing i might have been infected, i recently had unprotected sex with a girl (brazilian living in spain) and less than 48 hours later had swollen glands in my neck. they are still swollen now 2 weeks later.
I already suffer from genital herpes, but the swollen glands were the only symptom i have
i acknowledge its hard for a definitive answer but any help to calm my nerves would be appreciated as i cant get a test for another 2 weeks
Is this too soon for it to be a sign of HIV
thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hello1234
Regular

Reged: 02/07/11
Re: Possible infection new
      #254473 - 02/21/11 04:11 PM

Hey man-

48 hours is really really really early to start worrying. Symptoms normally don't show up until at least 3-6 weeks after infection. Your swollen lymph nodes could be from any number of things....you may have even just picked up a cold or a sinus infection and the lymph nodes are responding to that...but I'd say after just two days it's not something to worry about at all as a symptom of HIV.

Still...get yourself tested to keep yourself from worrying too much about it. But breathe easy.

asd1968

Reged: 02/21/11
      #254483 - 02/22/11 08:34 AM

cheers hello1234,

i thought the minimum time fram to show symptoms was 2-3 weeks roughly then i read a post saying it could be as soon as 3-5 days and freaked a little. just got to hold on 2 weeks and get home to get tested. most cases you get more than the 1 symptom right?

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #254501 - 02/23/11 02:54 PM

symptoms are unreliable. See What Are the Symptoms of HIV and AIDS?

as for testing in two weeks, that won't cut it. if i'm doing the math right, that'll be four weeks after your possible exposure, which isn't long enough. the recommended window period for testing is 12 weeks. however, a negative test result at four weeks will be very encouraging. you should use protection when having sex.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1482

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3