Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
SBGuard

Reged: 11/06/10
Blood transmission...scared
      #252956 - 11/06/10 11:25 AM

I'm a 22 year old female and I work as a security guard. A little over two weeks ago, I responded to a fight out in a parking. Two males were fighting (they were hitting each other in the ribs, face, and abdomen-which resulted in a lot of blood-and between the two of them managed a concussion, a broken nose, broken ribs, a broken ankle, a broken cheekbone, and a ton of cuts) and myself and another guard pulled two the them apart. The man that I grabbed resisted me when I was handcuffing him. When he was resisting me, I somehow got several cuts on one of my arms (several that were an inch to two inches long and one that was approximately three and a half to four inches long).

I wasn't aware at the scene that I had been cut. My adrenaline was pumping too hard and all I could see was the blood from either the one, or the two guys, that we had pulled apart, on my arm. I had gotten a fair amount on me because the guy I had grabbed was literally dripping blood (both his and the other guy's). By the time that I was able to clean the blood off, it had completely dried (approximately 25 minutes later). I washed the cuts with soap and water and then scrubbed them with alcohol.

I normally would have stayed in our office until the police processed the two men, but we had several other reported fights, so I got asked to go to those because the other officer who had broken up the fight had been injured worse than I had.

I wasn't too worried about anything at that time. I had told my superiors everything when it happened and thought I would just get a blood test and everything would be fine. Then about three days after that, the Officer that had stayed in the office told me that one of the two guys that had been in the fight that had told the paramedics that had checked him over that he had AIDS.

I can't do anything with that information because in a court of law, anything he told the paramedics (whether it was in front of us or not) and is protected under HIPPA. I have seen a doctor since I learned all of this and he says that there's a good chance that I'm infected and that I need to prepare myself for the possibility of testing positive.

Yesterday, I started to feel really sick. I feel nauseous, my joints and muscles hurt like hell, my throat's really sore, I have a really bad headache, and I'm exhausted. I looked up early symptoms of HIV and found that my symptoms matched Acute HIV Syndrome. I don't know whether I'm just getting sick from being so stressed out about the situation or whether it's symptoms that are manifesting.

I'm really scared and going through a lot of stress right now. I guess I'm just looking for any advice that anyone has or any experiences that you can share. At this point, anything would help, I feel like I'm loosing my grip little by little.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Blood transmission...scared new
      #252964 - 11/06/10 05:20 PM

Dispite the amount of blood present and the fact you also were injured I wouldn't say that it's assured that you will test postive. Actually I think it's more likely that you won't. To start with, people bleed out, not in. It's very difficult for someone elses blood to enter your body while you are busying pushing your own blood out through a wound. Secondly, HIV is an extremely fragile virus. If it wasn't it would be more prevelant than it is. It just can't survive outside it's environment. The minute that cold air hits it is start to become less viable.

I'm guessing that your doctor is just a PCP. It's a sad fact but a lot of PCP's know squat about HIV and it's transmission. They tend to be just as scared about the whole concept as most of their patients and end up only perpuating myths about HIV.

He probably also told you that you had to wait until 3 months to test. For you own peace of mind get tested at 6 weeks. Most people that are actually infected will test postive around 20-25 days. So at 6 weeks if your are infected, which I do doubt, you will know and can start to deal with it, BUT if at 6 weeks you test negative, then you can take a deep breath and be 99 percent sure that your test at 3 months will be just the same.

Good luck to you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2302

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3