Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
5parkl3

Reged: 10/29/10
Possible Exposure After Assault - So Scared
      #252818 - 10/29/10 08:12 PM

Hello. I need some advice about a really bad situation that I've found myself in.

I was assaulted at a party last weekend - I know that someone had sex with me (I'm female, he was male), but because I was drunk it's all a bit hazy.

Sorry to be graphic, but I want to be as accurate as possible. Basically, I know that he penetrated me, but I'm not sure if he ejaculated in me, as there was no evidence on my knickers to suggest this. I am fairly sure that he did not use a condom. I had never met him before, so am not sure if he is from a high-risk category. He made me bleed from my vagina, so I am concerned that this may increase the chances of my becoming infected with HIV should he have it.

I have been to my local rape crisis centre and sexual health clinic, and they have tried to put my mind at rest about the chances of becoming infected, but I have OCD about HIV, and am absolutely terrified.

Because of the state I was in, they put me on PEP, (Kaletra and Truvada), which I started taking on the Sunday, about 15 hours after the incident. I realised at 5am on the Tuesday morning that I had been taking the wrong dose of Kaletra - one tablet instead of two. So from 5pm on the Sunday until 5am on the Tuesday, I was only taking half the recommended dose of the Kaletra - I started the correct dose at 5am on the Tuesday, and have been taking the pills every 12 (Kaletra) and 24 hours (Truvada) as directed. Have I greatly increased my chances of being infected by messing up the dosage, even though it was still within the 72 hour window?

I'm fairly sure that it was only the one guy, and I think that he was white British, and probably a student, but since reading about HIV, I'm convincing myself that he was from a high-risk group, or that there could have been more than one. I also have cuts and scrapes on my arms - could HIV be transmitted this way?

I'm terrified now that I have been infected with HIV, and can't wait for the test in 3 months. What are my chances of having been infected? The staff at the clinic said that I was low-risk, but that nothing could be guaranteed until I get tested. I am so scared - like I say, I have OCD, and am convinced that I have HIV. I won't be able to live if I am HIV+, I would be too scared of transmitting the virus to my friends and family, even though rationally I know that it can't be transmitted through hugs, kisses, saliva etc, but still, I know that I won't be able to let anyone touch me, and that I would kill myself.

Please help me, I need advice, I'm going crazy with worry and am so so scared.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
Re: Possible Exposure After Assault - So Scared new
      #252820 - 10/29/10 10:06 PM

I am so sorry to here about your experience and hope you are OK as far as HIV goes if a condom was used then you have no risk from what you describe I hope you can get your OCD under control because freaking yourself out and stressing will do more damage to you that you do not need right now I would say for your own piece of mind try to stay off the internet (looking stuff up will only add anxiety) I know it is scary but I think you need to relax and if you need to for your own piece of mind get a antibody test at 3 months and hat will be conclusive I wish you the best of luck message me if you like

5parkl3

#252824 - 10/30/10 08:02 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't know if he used a condom or not, it happened so quickly - I don't think that he did.

I'm just so scared, and am freaking myself out about the possibility of contracting HIV - what are my chances if he was infected, particularly in terms of the vaginal bleeding, and the fact that I messed up my PEP meds?

Thanks.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #252826 - 10/30/10 08:32 AM

I know this is an extremely stressful time. Without you being able to remember the event it's impossible for anyone to give you any type of real risk estimate.

I wanted to bring up your timeline. People normally will test at 3 months for a conclusive test result, however when you take PEP that 3 month waiting period starts AFTER you finish the medication. The extra time is required to make sure the antiretroviral medication isn't interring with the test results. You can however test 6 weeks after finishing the medication and a negative at that point is a very good indication that your 3 month test will also be negative.

Kalata and Truvada can both cause stomach issues. I've taken both myself. If you start having some of those issues, make sure you have something on your stomach or take them at night before going to sleep.

Good luck with your testing.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #252827 - 10/30/10 10:13 AM

I am sorry I miss read that I thought you said you where pretty sure he DID USE A CONDOM. My bad. Yes Izabella has given you the correct information. Sorry once again good luck

5parkl3

#252828 - 10/30/10 10:49 AM

Thank you to both of you for your replies. I guess it's just a waiting game now. Thanks again,

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2531

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3