Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

hiv antigen
      #25235 - 12/04/01 11:25 PM

what is the chane of me taking 3 hiv antibody tests many yrs after exposure all neg the today i went for a hiv 2 and antigen test that these test would come back positive i have been hjaving some syptoms hiv related for 4 yrs but i tested neg on elisa 6,7,8 yrs after exposure my exposures was 91,92,93 so if these tests today come back neg am i almost 100 percent im ok an anigen test cant miss hiv this long after exposure can it

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: hiv antigen new
      #25237 - 12/05/01 12:23 AM

i also tested years after the risk, 8 years. i worried that the antibodies would be gone, or something. but i was assured that if i lost my antibodies, i would be close to dead. i am not dead. but, here i am, still wondering. the antigen test is only good for initial infection, before antibody test is accurate , prior to 3 months. after 3 months, i heard it is pretty worthless.

Shane
Unregistered

#25238 - 12/05/01 01:22 AM

In end stage AIDS cases,"some" people have non-detectable antibodies...but most do. Typically they test several times, and almost always, there will be a reaction with one of the repeat tests. To get to that stage, you would be extremely sick and it would be noticeable to others...wasting syndrome etc. You're not in this condition, your test is negative, and thus you're not infected. If you're having a hard time accepting this, then a DNA PCR would back it up. A DNA PCR (not RNA) is always positive, in an infected individual, even if antibodies are not present. This is different than a viral load test, which can show non-detected in "some" (very few) individuals who are on meds or who have suppressed the actual virus with a strong immune system. If you we're so sick that anti-bodies weren't present, even this would not apply (false negative RNA) because you'd be over-run with virus. Anyway you look at it you're negative.

Hope this helps...

Peace
Shane

Dreamer
Unregistered

#25245 - 12/05/01 11:49 AM

I think I read somewhere that HIV2 will show up reactive on an HIV1 test about 60-90% of the time. Plus, unless you had sex with a west african, I'd say you can be 100% sure you don't have HIV2. And If you've tested negative years after exposure, you can be 100% sure you don't have HIV1. You're HIV-, buddy.

~Dreamer~

Zoom42
Unregistered

#25246 - 12/05/01 12:53 PM

Shane,

Can you explain to me the difference between the RNA/PCR and RNA/bDNA tests?

What is the DNA PCR test you mentionned in your previous post and how diferent is it from the other ones?

Are these tests accurate?

Any false negative with the RNA-bDNA?

Will the RNA-bDNA test show anything in particular in case of an early HIV infection (ARS)?

Is there a period after a possible HIV exposure when these tests are not showing anything or start showing something?

Thanks.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1880

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3