Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
yoshimi2

Reged: 09/07/10
CD4 Count 540, but negative?
      #251992 - 09/08/10 07:47 AM

thanks to you alll, who took the trouble to reply. I will take one more test, with a diferent doctor - if it is still negative, than I guess i will need to go to a physchatrist. it is just that i feel as if i have hiv. i have never felt like this before. I feel tired,depressed, weak, ill, and my CD4 count is only 540.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
schokoo
Regular

Reged: 04/05/10
Re: CD4 Count 540, but negative? new
      #251993 - 09/08/10 08:06 AM

Quote:

thanks to you alll, who took the trouble to reply. I will take one more test, with a diferent doctor - if it is still negative, than I guess i will need to go to a physchatrist. it is just that i feel as if i have hiv. i have never felt like this before. I feel tired,depressed, weak, ill, and my CD4 count is only 540.

When was your last anti hiv test? and what kind of test was it?

yoshimi2

Reged: 09/07/10
      #252028 - 09/10/10 10:44 AM

My last test was a week ago and it was negative. Ag/Ab Abbot Architect.

But I am going to do a test with a different doctor.

Impossible
Fanatic

Reged: 08/19/10
      #252096 - 09/13/10 02:37 AM

Reading your other thread your exposure was in November 2009 a negative test in early September 2010 gives you at least 9 months post exposure.

The US CDC states anti-HIV test results at 3 months are conclusive for exposures to partners of unknown status but when one of your partners is known to be HIV positive testing at 3 and 6 months post exposure is required.

Where I live they state tests at 3 months post infection will pick up between 97- 99% of true positives but they also recommend for you to come back at 6 months as in some rare cases there can be an atypical host response.

If you were infected 9 months ago and the Ab/Ag test hadn't picked up the infection(virtually impossible) you'd be very sick. Like in the hospital running every test possible kind of sick.

Albeit there are very few guarantees of absolutes in medicine.

For example one unlucky guy who presented with Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia(an opportunistic infection) took 12 months to test positive on EIA, while his WB remained indeterminate.He had a MHC susceptibility genes for common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) syndrome and other antibody deficiency disorders. Oddly enough he had normal immune responses to common infections and vaccines. This abstract highlighted the need for fourth generation Ab/Ag tests which you got. As the body mounts a sufficient antibody response the P24 antigen level goes down this is why combo Ab/Ag assays can pick up HIV infections quicker than an earlier first to third generation antibody tests. Before someones humoral immune system has mounted a sufficient antibody response(enough to make an EIA or ELISA test positive) to make the test positive usually within the first few weeks there will be still enough circulating P24 antigen to create even more reactivity on the fourth generation HIV test.

As I mentioned in my thread(selective IgM deficiency) those with a IgM deficiency have a much higher rate of specific antibody deficiency. This can be tested using vaccines like tetanus(protein) and pneumonia and then measuring specific antibody titer levels.

"Thus, a primary disorder of specific antibody production may explain exceptionally slow antibody development in an otherwise severe seroconversion illness"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20696618

Not that any of this applies to you because it doesn't. Given all of it's safe to say there's no way you have HIV.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3900

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3