Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Testing Nightmare - Has this happened to any of ya
      #25186 - 12/03/01 06:50 PM

Hi all,

I took an HIV test at a local planned-parenthood last Monday (had to wait around for 2 1/2 hours). Well I go in to get my results ... the girl at the counter says it will be 20minutes. Well ... an HOUR goes by and I go up to her and ask her waht the deal is. By this time I'm getting way nervous ... my thinking being that its taking so long cuz the result came back negative. Finally she says ok come on back ... I get back there and she tells me that they've been trying to get my results from the lab for the last 45 minutes but that the lab screwed things up. I was like, "Great ... thanks for making me wait around for an hour!". So now my anxiety is really high ... I asked her if this was a bad sign (my thinking being that they found something and were still looking into it). The girl tells me that if they had found something the lab would have called earlier last week and my results would have been "pending" from the lab.

Any of you have similar experiences? Does anyone think I should be more concerned ... or less concerned based on what the nurse told me? I'm really concerned about there shoddy treatment and care. They took blood again today and said I should get a result by Wednesday (we'll see).

Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Testing Nightmare - Has this happened to any of ya new
      #25196 - 12/03/01 11:44 PM

One time I called for my results (this was 89') and I was told they weren't ready, although they were supposed to be. I called back after a few more days, the same thing...I got upset on the phone and the lady said to call back at the end of the day. I called back and when the same lady got on the phone, she asked "if I had knew a "PREIST"!!!" I dropped the phone and drove over in a daze...there was a strange calm, but I was blank. When I got there I was negative and she claimed she was worreid about the amount of anxiety I was showing....she claimed that I hung up the phone before she could explain her reason for saying this. Bad choice of words regardless, I thought.

Yes, I've heard and have experienced labs taking a long time, longer than expected. I've also heard, on this board, as a matter of fact, of labs losing samples or results...I will try to find a posting about 5 months ago where this happened. The lady was negative.

You'll be okay...

Peace
Shane

Dreamer
Unregistered

Re: Testing Nightmare - Has this happened to any of ya new
      #25219 - 12/04/01 04:00 PM

Something similar happened to me. My doctor suggested I get tested because of some symptoms I was having. Needless to say, I was convinced I had it (those of you who have been on this board for a while might remember). I asked the doctor AND the nurse SEPARATELY when I should call for the results. They both said FRIDAY. After a week of HELL, I called on friday, the nurse told me she couldn't reveal the results to me. The doctor would have to tell me on MONDAY. Of course I took this as a sign of some TERRIBLE news. I called back over and over and left a bunch of messages on the nurse's answering machine, each more frantic than the one before. Until the nurse called me back and told me to chill out. The results were negative. There was a mixup. The doctor didn't even work there on fridays. I was pissed about the misunderstanding, but SO relieved about the negative results.

I think doctors should go thru some kind of training on things NOT to do when people are getting their HIV results. It's a very nervous time. They should know that every extra minute you have to wait, is the more conviced you get that you have it. And Health Departments are known for making you wait. They are so busy and disorganized. I guess you get what you pay for.

~Dreamer~

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1444

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3