Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
stupidgirl

Reged: 07/26/10
SRCHFRANS34.....8 weeks vs. 3 months vs 6 months
      #251644 - 08/16/10 02:03 AM

In the U.K they ask that you get your final test at the 3 month mark As for the USA, most people that are positive have multiple partners and don't know when the exposure was exactly they asks for six months. The CDC says to get tested at 6 months to be sure there isn't any antibodies. Being tested at eight weeks like i was is good but as i was told eighth week test means almost nothing. What really matters is the 3 month marks. And six months for those that use drugs and have multiple partners and have really good immune systems......So yes I'm still freaking out i have a total of thirty days to know my 3 months. Most people test positive by four months. I don't have multiple partners but i did some drugs around that period. i hope weed doesn't count i hope they mean needles and stuff.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SRCHFRANS34
Fanatic

Reged: 09/20/09
WOW ! I don't know where to start . . . new
      #251655 - 08/16/10 02:07 PM

Ok, let's start in the order of your blended truths with myths .
KNOWING : Almost everyone who goes for testing "knows" the incident or person that makes them suspect of exposure . (Read all the questions that Dr.Bob answers in the forums ,almost everyone seems to "KNOW ") . The CDC does say all that you quoted , but they have to be ultra conservative because their advice is meant to cover ALL persons . See the Experts forum at "Medhealth.org" , the Docs there continually enforce the idea that 6 months is all but outdated and CDC officials "off the record" have stated as much .
EIGHT WEEKS : : Docs at Med health( 4-5 different docs ,including three from the U.K. ) have been quoted(Doing this from memory ) as follows : NO one in the past 5 years who has tested negative with a PROPER 8 week test done correctly has turned positive on later tests ,from the SAME exposure , in their practice or from an informal poll at a conference , that's a lot of 8 weeks staying negative !!!
3 MONTH MARK : is the commonly accepted stop point (though that barrier with new approved tests is coming down ,but that's another subject and remains to be seen ) . The drug use admonition is for those who use and SHARE needles to do their drugs ,thus sharing the virus , of course they're not talking about weed ! As a matter of fact have some 420 to go after reading this and realize you really are going to come out of this ok .
GOOG IMMUNE MYTH: is actually the opposite ,IF anything , those healthy immune systems would produce antibodies sooner as their body immediately and with full force battles the Hiv invader , but even this has NOT been reliably established. But certainly the taking longer myth for them in NOT sensible science .
MULTIPLE PARTNERS : while at first contemplation this would certainly make sense, it does not seem to work that way , but I'll take your worst case scenario, a person has multiple sex partners who all are positive with high viral loads , and has high risk exposure with them all . Well, in this scenario the first partner infection with the virus would probably (Like 90%) show up 4-6 weeks , and definitely by 3 months , the other infected partners this person would have continued having sex with and giving that person more virus would NOT slow down the first infection . As one of my favorite Essayists and author's William Gass said:"Even in a gang bang the best seed gets the egg ", well the same here : even with multiple positive partners the first infection rules the roost as far as showing up on tests first, so that multiple partner person is NOT going to have to wait 6 months from an actual real infection that has taken place . But would need to get tested 3 months after their last postitive partner exposure .
There are a very rare an infintesimal group of persons who MAY stretch Hiv detection out to 6 months , guess what , i don't know , I've read the names of the disorders and such but can't quote them , but go to the search bar above and enter" 6 month's antibody test" or any such word combo ,and you'll get your answer, I'll tell you right now , YOU would know it if you were one of these persons because you would be sick as hell ! NOT YOU !
Take these answers and believe , you are 8 weeks negative and all but impossible to change to a poitive . BTW did you ever confirm that your partner was Hiv positive ? Why not get that person tested, surely that'll allay your fears ? There seems to be some aspects of your"clinical picture " you're not sharing ,i.e. date, sexual act, person or persons , degee of certainty of their hiv status ? Pray tell ...?

roma2010
All Star

Reged: 07/23/10
Re: SRCHFRANS34.....8 weeks vs. 3 months vs 6 months new
      #251698 - 08/18/10 06:45 PM

actually the cdc states that the window period where most people test positive is 4 to 6 weeks occasionally 3 months you can look this up in the cdc hiv training and counseling section i just read it like an hour ago and it's been like this since 2004 newer tests reduce the window period to 6 weeks it really depends on where you live, Australia they use the newest test that there is and their window period is 6 weeks and they refuse to test again after the six weeks but then again the 3 month mark is the universally accepted window period. i went to the clinic today again because i am still feeling kinda sick and the counselor told me that it's gotta be all related to stress and depression and she told me she has been working at the clinic for 10 years and the vast vast majority of people test positive the very first time they go get tested at 4 to 6 weeks she said that they normally use the 8 week window period as an indicator that the person is not infected but because cdc guidelines say 3 months they have to ask people to come back at the 3 month mark and she also said that they have never seen a 3 month negative become positive later.. i already tested negative at 13.5 weeks and she said any symptoms are all stress related or any other illness but she and other 3 counselors said is not hiv no way no how...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2057

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3