Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

the dreaded window period
      #25142 - 12/02/01 01:26 AM

Hi all. I have a question about the HIV testing and the window period. I had an questionable encounter a few months back, and tested at the State health department. After the risk, 14 weeks, I had a negative result. The nurse told me to test again after 6 months had passed for a true result, so now that is what I am waiting for. My queston is, Ryan Kull on this site says 3 months, the cdc says 6, my doc says 6 months to a year. Who do I believe. Have people taken as long as 6 months to go from negative to positive? or even a year? Why would some same one thing, and some say another. its hard to find any comfort in this. why would some take so much longer than others? if you get sick with the common cold, or anything for that matter, doesn't a body begin to defend itself straight away? Just looking for advice from those familiar with the disease and how it progresses. Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottom Line on Testing new
      #25149 - 12/02/01 12:34 PM

The fact is this:

After a 3 month test you can be 99.9 percent sure you do not have HIV. The reason that the CDC and other places say 6 months is for their own protection (i.e. you were that one in a million person who took longer than 3 months to convert - they don't want any legal issues etc...)

Thus, put your self at rest after 3 months of testing. If you are still having fears there are two things you should do.

1) See a counselor about anxeity issues.
2) Test at 6 months to fully confirm to yourself.

Best of luck to all and the window period sucks beyond belief.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bottom Line on Testing new
      #25153 - 12/02/01 03:19 PM

Thank you very much for responding. Yes, the waiting period sucks beyond belief. What sucks even more though, is people like myself, the "Worried Well", not being able to find universal information regarding testing issues. I can see why the CDC says 6 months (to be cautious), but it truly would help if the operators would give ALL information, and not only information that is on the little pamplets they read from. One other note, when I called the CDC for info, the very nice man on the phone offered to send me some pamplets on HIV and various STD's. I got them, and they were very informative, but after looking closely on the back, it stated the last time the brochures were updated...1997. 4 YEARS AGO! Advances in this and other conditions and diseases are always changing, you'd think government literture would too!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1236

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3