Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
theasker21

Reged: 07/29/10
Exposure Scenario question
      #251413 - 07/29/10 04:00 PM

I had a finger prick HIV test done. Result - negative. 10 days later I went to a homeless/drug addict shelter with a community group. We fed, clothed, helped out any way we can. There I met a man who had open wounds from his drug use. He was picking these wounds seldomly. I offered him a bottle a water which took and he gave me the bottle he had in his hand. Question is: with the amount of open wounds he had and his scratching and the 10 day old finger prick I had, could there be exposure risk from touching the bottle if he were HIV positive?Take into account that my finger wound was 10 days old but still visible as a little prick in the skin. No blood was gushing from my finger prick and it looked clotted and almost healed but also that same day a few hours later I put some hydrogen peroxide on it and it created a small amount of foam. Thats my concern, if the hydrogen peroxide disinfected something in the wound by creating the foam, could that be enough of an skin opening?

Thanx for the help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SRCHFRANS34
Fanatic

Reged: 09/20/09
No , not a chance ! new
      #251416 - 07/29/10 06:09 PM

While cetainly understanding your angst , you can be 100% assured this is not even close to an event for contraction . Even using the outlandish scenario that the person was hiv+ , and did leqve blood on the bottle , the virus very quickly dies or is neutralized when exposed to air .
Everyone can try a liittle experiment , go cup some hydrogen peroxide and comence to wash your hands with it , you'll see white , remember mom's training to wash your hands after toilet and before meals , and the health warnings ,especially during flu season , germs are here always , fighting them is our immune systems job , and it does it well . Throw hiv in the mix , not so good .
Congats on getting tested , even just randomly , it's a self confidence way to approach any new sex partner and demand the same . . . .Remain well. . .

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: Exposure Scenario question new
      #251417 - 07/29/10 07:26 PM

not a risk. please see:
http://www.thebody.com/content/whatis/art30024.html#q15

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

theasker21

Reged: 07/29/10
Re: Exposure Scenario question new
      #251423 - 07/30/10 12:14 PM

Thanx for both answers. Take care.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2515

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3