Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

OraSure Test
      #25055 - 11/28/01 05:25 PM

Does anyone know which generation ELISA-test is being done with an Orasure test? Do they even do an ELISA test, or is theirs a proprietary test followed by Western Blot if the initial screening is positive. If theirs is a proprietary test, does anyone know how it compares to say a 3rd generation ELISA?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: OraSure Test new
      #25057 - 11/28/01 05:45 PM

My test was an OraSure, and the test administrator at the clinic assured me that 3 months from infection was 99.7% conclusive. This does not really answer your question regarding which generation ELISA is used, but it may be helpful to you anyway.

The results in my case read: ELISA=NEGATIVE WESTERNBLOT=N/A (not applicable). So I would assume that had my ELISA reacted positively, the western blot would have been the confirmatory test.

From what I've read, OraSure is FDA approved, and considered to be just as accurate as blood testing at 3 months. I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: OraSure Test new
      #25060 - 11/28/01 09:49 PM

Orasure is not a test but rather a system used to collect OMT oral mucousal transudit (spelling)which is high in antibodies to hiv. the sample is then tested using the elisa and is actually as high or even a tad more accurate then a blood draw. as far as the generation goes i really can't say but I tend to doubt that there can be many first gen test left out there, the 3rd gen test has been out for over 3years now and has actually been in production since 96

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1103

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3