Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
StupidMe
Regular

Reged: 11/05/09
Multiple tests
      #250342 - 05/18/10 10:18 AM

Hello, I'm just posting to ask how does taking multiple test out of the window period improve the test sensitivity? Dr Bob, states quite often that to a person taking many tests (negative) that the evidence is overwhelming that they don't have HIV. Why is it overwhelming? If the sensitivity of a test is say 99.5% then 5 of the same test will still give a sensitivity of 99.5%? is it true to say this or would the sensitivity be higher following the 5 tests? Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Multiple tests new
      #250344 - 05/18/10 10:35 AM

You're correct the test sensitivy remains the same. The point is that with each passing week a person tests negative the greater the chance they aren't going to seroconvert.

ie: a person testing negative at 2 weeks may still seroconvet and test postive at 3 weeks, but if they test negative at 3 weeks, then they have a better chance that they are't seroconverting, but still might test postive by 4 weeks, but if they test negative at 4 weeks then the person is getting closer to the end side of the time of seroconversion and so there is a better chance they won't test postive.

Get it?

StupidMe
Regular

#250347 - 05/18/10 04:53 PM

Thanks for your reply. But, I'm not quite there yet with your explanation. The thing is, say I had a super high risk (evens that I would be infected) and got tested at 3 months with an antibody test with a sensitivity of 99.5%. If negative the chance of infection is 1 in 200. Now if I got tested at 6 months then the chance of infection is still 1 in 200 and at 1 year the chance is still the same. So how would having these multiple tests give reassurance that I was truly negative?

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#250349 - 05/18/10 05:29 PM

You certainly named yourself well.

It's a stupid question that any idiot could figure out.

Since I now find myself facing a REAL LIFE crisis in the way of yet another OI for my husband with a low survival rate, I really don't have the patience to deal with the nonsense found on this board any longer.

Stress, continue to stress. Waste your fucking life. Just remember one day you're gonna look back and wonder why you wasted so much fucking time. There are no do-overs.

iknowigotit
All Star

Reged: 02/08/10
      #250351 - 05/18/10 10:06 PM

To Esmeralda,

I really believe that you should be blocked from this forum. I am sorry to hear about the issue that u and ur husband are currently experiencing but if ur not going to be able to provide better answer and be more human with people than don't answer questions. I haven't been to this forum in over a month n the 1st post I read n there u are mouthing off at someones question. Yes agree some of these questions are stupid n some are no risk what so ever. But if u can't answer with a proper manner then don't answer at all. What do u benefit from talking to worry wells the way u do? Does it make u feel better about ur condition? Why do u have to be such a bitch in other words. Again if u can't.answer right then don't answer at all and just read the post like everyone else does. However I do hope ur husband pulls thru.

StupidMe
Regular

#250353 - 05/19/10 04:17 AM

That's a bit of a harsh reply isn't it. I fully comprehend what you're trying to say in your reply but, I was referring to out of the window period and your reply referred to in the window period. So I reiterated my question.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#250355 - 05/19/10 06:04 AM

I'm a bitch because it's seems to be the only way to get through the thick skulls of worried wells; such as yourself. You showed up here 2 months ago clearly HIV negative, yet you continue to haunt these boards.

Same goes for you as StupidME. Keep wasting your time over a disease you don't have and one day you're gonna wake up and realize it's too late. Time has slipped by and all you have done is squander it.

Since you are HIV negative and don't care for how I answer people, then perhaps that's a sign that it's time for you to take flight.....

or better yet......you anwser them. I'm sure with all the wisdom you have about HIV it will be very easy for you and in taking my own advice I don't feel the need to squander anymore time here.

And StupidME I stand by my replies. There is no reason to discuss OUTSIDE THE WINDOW PERIOD. You're just looking for a reason to validate your irrational belief that all you ever get is a false negative result. You're another one that doesn't have HIV but spends an enoumous amount of time researching a disease YOU DON'T HAVE.

In both of your cases, normal people see that as a bit obsessive and hypocrondiac. Something both of you with your mad desire for research should research. HIV Hypocrondria, that subject will shed more light on your problems than any HIV information will.

themushroom
All Star

Reged: 02/18/10
      #250357 - 05/19/10 08:01 AM

Way to go idiots chase off one of the only people that give a shit enough to religiously answer all these WW's questions. You cry about getting the straight answers here why don't you go to medhelp and see how long they put up with you or did Teak already ban you from there

StupidMe
Regular

#250358 - 05/19/10 09:01 AM

Quote:

And StupidME I stand by my replies. There is no reason to discuss OUTSIDE THE WINDOW PERIOD. You're just looking for a reason to validate your irrational belief that all you ever get is a false negative result.

Not true, I'm trying to quantify the statistics of multiple negative test results to hopefully prove that the symptoms I have can't be HIV. So to help put things into perspective. But, your reply didn't answer my question. Then I got my head bitten off!

StupidMe
Regular

Re: Multiple tests
      #250359 - 05/19/10 09:05 AM

Quote:

Way to go idiots chase off one of the only people that give a shit enough to religiously answer all these WW's questions. You cry about getting the straight answers here why don't you go to medhelp and see how long they put up with you or did Teak already ban you from there

Hang on. I haven't chased anyone off. I only asked a question that to me seemed fairly sensible. I haven't been chased off Medhelp but, they are a bunch of abusive knobs on there.

themushroom
All Star

#250361 - 05/19/10 12:43 PM

It is really very simple you tested beyond the window period therefor you do not have HIV (Trust me I went through all this shit for 5 years) Now what you need to do is figure out what is causing your symptoms but it is not HIV so look to other causes. for me it was CFIDS a very sever case caused by XMRV ( witch did give me chronic oral thrush as one of the symptoms)n and it is like 10 times as prevalent as HIV

iknowigotit
All Star

#250363 - 05/19/10 02:40 PM

1st off Esmeralda understand that my comment wasn't to take away from what you do on this forum. Heck if anything you are here answering many questions thru the day. However don't try to justify the fact that u take the time to answer question as reason to answer to worry wells the way you do. I am sure dr. Bob as well as many of the other experts on this site and many others that I have visited have been doing this for a long time n I have never read a post where they answer to people the way that you do. I have actually answer many post myself for people in other websites n just because the questions was prev answered or because its one of the stupidest questions I have ever read doesn't mean I will make sure I go out of my way to disrespect someone. I respect you for taking the time to answer peoples concerns and I will say this to "themushroom". Mind your own fucking business. I made no comment toward you or mentioned your name in any part of my last post.

You don't have to have hiv to b an expert an answer simple questions, and get the only response we ever get here, "3 months conclusive". All I am saying is if u aint going to answer back in a good manner then simply skip the post. Some of these people r in a close suicidal/mental state n talking to them the way you do is only going to bring more harm to them.

And as far as me, yes I've tested negative. I have tested out to 6mnths negative n undetectable vl. Do I believe I have hiv? Yes I do but that is no longer a concern that I will be posting on websites such as this since it seems everyone is so set up on the 3 mnth rule n ab test being accurate enough to pick every strain. With time I like others that have posted with "real" symptoms after a "real" exposure will come to know what we have. If you wish to block me from this forum be my guess as I only visit this site to read what a real expert dr. Bob has got to say.

iknowigotit
All Star

#250364 - 05/19/10 03:22 PM

To StupidMe,

There really is no clear answer to ur question number wise. However n in theory most people that become infected will test poz by 6-8wks after exposure. The majority of people will have tested poz by the 3month/13wk mark. However the point of taking test after the 3 month period is because no hiv test on the market promotes 3month window period. They don't actually even say anything bout a 6mnth window period. But the goverment has it as a guideline because the majority test poz within 3mnths. Now if uve read dr. Bobs forum he states that if u have had a sure exposure to someone that is poz then to test out to 6mnths. Can you say how many people that sleep wit csw know of their status in order to test out to 6mnths? No. But just to b sure all people that didn't test poz by 3 mnths test poz by 6mnths. But if ur looking for stats you won't get them. Believe me, I tried. Either way just keep in mind hiv test just like anything else in science is not 100% ever. And if an hiv test is 99.7% by 3mnths then that still leaves .3% showing neg past the window period. And when u calculate that with how many people take hiv test in a year. Then u know the answer. The good thing is that the more u continue to test negative outside the window period the more in the clear u wil b. But the choice is urs to stop testing at 3mnths, its conclusive enough.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #250365 - 05/19/10 05:01 PM

Hello StupidMe,

Your question is valid, but like others have pointed out, a bit unnecessary. False negatives are extremely rare because HIV tests are very, very sensitive, which is why false positives are more common.

But for argument's sake, let's assume you're right about it being 1/200 for a false negative. And let's assume you are actually infected and that it's after six months, outside of the window period, and that HIV antibodies are present.

Then you go get a test, and test negative, the odds of which are 1/200. The odds of the second test also being negative would be 1/200 X 1/200 = 1/40000. And so on. It's similar to randomly picking the same number between 1-200 twice in a row.

So if you're testing negative more than once or twice, then you're probably negative.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

themushroom
All Star

Re: Multiple tests
      #250366 - 05/19/10 05:20 PM

I will try to mind my own but do me a favor and get your mother off my jock ok love ya asshole

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6510

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3